Drags

Started by Dawn, May 12, 2011, 01:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawn

So do you guys thing it would work to put two metal washers together on top of the stack to take up space, such as when trying to use thinner fiber washers than the original ones?  I've been thinking on it and I can't see why it wouldn't work okay since they are keyed to the shaft, but I might be missing something.

Thanks
Dawn
Dawn

akfish

Penn does this already on some reels. The top metal washer on the 113H is normally thicker than the other metal washers but I've seen some reels with two regular thickness metal washers on top instead of the thicker one. It doesn't affect the drag at all.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bryan Young

Hi Dawn,  it would be okay to use additional washers on top of the stack to fill in the gap.  Some also use bevelled washers here as well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Dawn,
I gotta agree with Ak... I do it to lots of my senators, but never tried it on others. Sometimes ya gotta use thin on thin, thick on thin, etc.  I use the washers to adjust the play in the handle and to adjust drag pressure.
Dom

alantani

simple addition.  you need enough drag washer and enough height.  it doesn't matter how you get the height as long as you have enough drag washers. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dawn

Cool...thank you all.  It only took 25 years for the idea to occur to me   ;D
Dawn

Bryan Young

Dawn, I'd promote the use of more carbon fiber drag washers.  ;) ;) ;)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

George4741

I've been doing this on many of my reels.  I will often put a keyed metal washer between the star drag wheel and the handle (all of my Senators are set up like this).  That way, the wheel doesn't rub against the handle when the drag is backed off all the way.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Very good George. You might want to try a tension spring, they come in different sizes. The keyed washer is going to be  too thik for most of the reels, the larger Senators come with a very thin copper washer that snaps on the sleeve above the star wheel.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.