Quiet clicker on Penn International V 50VSW

Started by dalematlock, May 12, 2011, 01:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalematlock

So I got a brand new Penn International V 50VSW for Christmas and have just recently started taking it out and fishing it...now I absolutely love the reel but for me it is having one major drawback and that is an unusually quiet clicker. Is there any way to beef it up a little to make it louder? Mods? Maybe something to check to see if it is maybe not installed correctly...I have yet to rip this reel apart and am somewhat intimidated by it, however I know I will have to do it sooner or later.

But would just love some suggestions on how to make this thing a bit louder when the clicker is engaged.

Thanks,

Dale

kamuwela

you can look for a stronger spring. ive noticed some penn reels get louder when the drag is set versus  on free spool. loud clicker's are the most comon request i get. is it age? lol be careful what you ask for. shimano tiagra's have loud clicker's but at a price. the clicker is hardend steel against a stainless steel plate. the hole's in the plate get elongated and  the clicker hit's the spool. the reel look's intmidating but dont let it scare you, most of the vs tutoriol's here will show you the way.                                                                            good luck
                                                                                     kamu

alantani

here is the schematic for your reel.  https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/50vsw_v2.pdf  the spring in question is key #62, the click spring, part # 62-50.  you could try "stretching" it out, but the best solution is to find a spring with the same outside diameter but a thicker wire gauge.  hopefully it will still fit on the click tongue.  

go to http://www.mcmaster.com/#compression-and-die-springs/=c9oupa to look at compression springs.  you will need dimensions on the original to choose a replacement.  alan

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dalematlock

awesome...thanks guys for the nudge in the right direction. I sure do appreciate it.

-Dale

alantani

dale, first guess?  try stretching out that spring a little and see if it helps.  i bet it will. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dalematlock

Sure thing Alan I will give it a try and see what happens and I'll get back to ya to let you know if it worked or not. Thanks again.

-Dale