Senator 113H Problem

Started by George4741, May 12, 2011, 01:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

I just rebuilt an old 113H from a 3 drag to a 5+1 drag stack.  I installed a       6-875 drag washer under the main gear.  Now the top of the main gear rubs against the side plate, as an undremelled Senator 2/0 with a 5+1 drag stack would (refer to Alan's Senator 111 tutorial). 

Is this common with 113H reels?  Should I use a different (something thinner) HT100 washer under the main gear, or dremel out the side plate?  I'm leaning towards dremelling out the side plate-it won't need much material removed.

George

viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

What kind of washers did you use for the 5+1 drag stack? Did you use the kit with thinner metal wahers and HT100 carbon fiber ? You should not have any problems installing the 5+1 configuration on that reel, something is up :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 12, 2011, 01:35:11 AM
What kind of washers did you use for the 5+1 drag stack? Did you use the kit with thinner metal wahers and HT100 carbon fiber ?:-\

Thank you for the quick reply.  They are the thin metals, key #7C-113H.  The problem is not the washers.  I removed the drag stack through the drag access hole while the reel was together and can see that there is no clearance between the side plate and top of the main gear.  The gear is rubbing against an inner lip of the side plate.  There is no clearance between the two.  The reel works fine with the standard 4-349 washer under the main gear. 

BTW, Penn Parts advertises key #7C-113H with 5 washers.  This metal set came with 4 keyed and 2 tab washers.  The extra keyed washer comes in handy to fill extra space between the star and drag stack, if needed.

George   
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

it's probably the gear that is rubbing against the side plate, not the metal drag washers.  thinner carbon fiber or metal washers will not fix that.  honestly, break out the dremmel.  it won't take much.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

I would call (smoothdrag) dawn... she sells nice thin under gear washers. Do it before she goes on vacation
They work for mine; should  work for yours... good luck
Dom

alantani

you know, dom, that's a good idea.  i will do that as well.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

George4741

I used a Dremel and deepened the space in the sideplate for the main gear.  Now everything turns fine.  I have a 6-875 HT100 drag washer under the main gear and a 5-stack of HT100 drags and metals.  It should give me plenty of drag, and a smooth pull, too. 

I didn't want to wait for an order from Smoothdrag, as I already had the HT100's on hand.  Thanks for the tip though, Dom.  I will remember that if I have clearance problems on a reel in the future.   

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

broadway

Good job, George!  Glad to hear ya got your stack straight.
Dom