tool for removing spool pin

Started by TimH, May 13, 2011, 03:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimH

What do you guys use to safely remove the pin from the spool. I have a custom made pair of duck bill pliers that I use to get it halfway out then use a pair of vise grips to pull it the rest of the way out. Sometimes it damages the pin. Is there a better way?

kamuwela

alan  uses ground down a vise grip. he grind's the outside of the jaw to cleance the pin.

Roger

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I also use a small vice grip and it's gounded down.  Then I have a 1/4 stainless steel rod that I had gounded down to a common diameter of the pins to push it through.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

This is what I am using right now, made them.....
Tried to get a pin welded on another pair to push the pin all the way out!!!!
Heat from weld, ruined pliers, lost temper & got soft???!!!!

I finish pulling the PIN with needle nose Vice grips... Carefully!!!   
Touch those spools sides and they are TOAST!!!

This is what I want/Need!!!!..  
Cant get to seller as the Translator doesnt work well enough..
Then the Quake & Tsunami kinda put a damper on me trying....

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b120286629#enlargeimg

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Irish Jigger

Someone recently posted this link of a brilliant tool specifically designed for the job. 

http://www.japantackle.com/Tuning_parts/Change_spool_bearing.htm

ReelSpeed

My goal is to have a simple tool to accomplish this towards the end of this week.  Since I can find no one making a specific tool for this and it has personally caused me enough headaches.. I will make one that will do the job.  Now I just need to see how much it will cost..  I will keep everyone updated!

Aaron
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Irish Jigger

Aaron,might be worthwhile looking at the design of the Japanese tool referred to in my above post. Extracts pin in two operations without causing surface damage.

Killerbug

The Japanese tool uses the same principles as most pin removers in the industry, and allows you to remove, even rusty pins slowly
and safe.  This kind of tool can probably be made easy by modifying a Shimano chain pin remover. 

http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

alantani

not sure you could get the proper angle, but it is an extremely cool looking tool.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tennessee

Quote from: TimH on May 13, 2011, 03:49:56 AM
What do you guys use to safely remove the pin from the spool. I have a custom made pair of duck bill pliers that I use to get it halfway out then use a pair of vise grips to pull it the rest of the way out. Sometimes it damages the pin. Is there a better way?
I have glued ,(2 part epoxy),a piece of leather belt to the face of each jaw on a pair of lineman pliers and it will prevent galling the pin works good.
I just love it when I catch something!