Basic Grease & Oil help (xtreme+, corrosion x, yamaha)... so many choices!?!

Started by Henning, May 14, 2011, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henning

I've been reading A LOT of posts....great info and lots of it :o

I'm going to be doing my first teardown/cleaning/lubing on my Curado 201e7 along with a carbonex drag upgrade and new bearings.  I've decided to get the Cal's grease for the drag.  What's the consensus on bearing oil (Xtreme reel +, Corrosion x, oust met-ol)?  I've also read a lot about the Yamaha Marine Grease, are there any other good quality reel greases (small bottles) for the casual reel repair?  Thanks a lot for the help!

Henning

Norcal Pescador

Henning -
You're off to a good start with Cal's for your drags. For the general purpose grease, I use the Yamaha Marine but it only comes in 14 ounce tubes. I've used a little of the Penn XR-1 and it's good, too. Akfish uses the XR-1 as his GP grease (I'm 99% sure).
I've only used Reel-X in my short reel-fixing career and it's worked well for me. When I finally run out of Reel-X I'll probably switch to Corrosion-X or TSI 301 unless something better comes along. I bought some Oust from another reel repair guy (that's all he uses) but haven't had a chance to really try it out.
Happy hunting! ;)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Nessie Hunter

My opinion on what you NEED!!

Light oil for things that go fast:
(Spool bearings & Level Winds)
I use, Oust Met-Ol, ReelX & TSI 301..

Drags that need to be protected & smoothed out:
Cals Drag Grease & Shimano Drag Grease.

General purpose waterproofing, and all Other Slow Bearings etc.
(Marine grease for the Salt protection)
Yamaha Marine.
Johnson Marine.
LubriMatic (Automotive Marine Bearing Grease - available at most Auto parts stores)

I am currently, and for past 6 yrs, using the LubriMatic, it was readily available, cheap and Works.
I am running out and will most likely be upgrading to Yamaha or Johnson that Alan recommends..

I shop at Smootdrags a Lot, so I use what is available there for Drags and Oils. 
Just makes my life that much easier and its all 'top of the line' quality stuff...

If your ordering drags (Carbontex) from Smoothdrags.com) It makes it easy to order the Drag grease and Light oil at the same time, shipped to your door..

Then a Trip to Pep Boys or NAPA for Marine grease, or Marine Boat shop or online for Yamaha or Johnson.

I live in the Desert in a small city, not a lot of choices for me when shopping...
With gas at $4.25 its cheaper to pay shipping then drive......

My 2 cents....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!