How old are these?

Started by troutman561, May 30, 2017, 11:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutman561

So I stumbled upon a 113, Long Beach, and a 209 for $52. Figured I couldnt pass this up. I'm gonna post some pics but is there any way to tell their age? Clearly the 113's handle is not stock but the others seem original. The Long Beach freespool/ retrieve is opposite of what I'm accustomed to? Is this normal for this reel? I have never handled a Long Beach or 209 before   Anyhow, I'll let the pics do the talking. Thanks in advance!

troutman561

sdlehr

Nice score, Troutman! They're all born after 1950 based on the numbered parts. Narrowing it down past that without boxes or other supporting ephemera might not be possible. They're reasonably good samples of fairly common reels that have been around a few generations and probably have a few more left in them. they were meant to be fished.

Different models had freespool/retrieve positions switched. In some forward was freespool, in others forward was retrieve. Depends on the model. Within a model they are all the same.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

troutman561

Thanks Sid! I figured they were not ancient but was curious as the handles seem "retro" compared to more recent ones. I'm probably going to do some mild mod's to them internally and have them as backups for snapper fishing. I figure the 209 would be a good reel to intro my 11 and 5 year old to conventional reels for bottom fishing. So far they have only fished spinners. The dilemma will be the handles. I wanna keep the classic look but they need a bit more in the department.

mo65

Quote from: sdlehr on May 31, 2017, 12:25:18 AM
Different models had freespool/retrieve positions switched. In some forward was freespool, in others forward was retrieve. Depends on the model. Within a model they are all the same.

This has always bothered me. It's like stopping on a red light at the first intersection...and then on green at the next one...sheesh!  :-\ That's a nice group of reels for 50 bucks!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

troutman561

So I opened up the 66 today. Quite dirty but minimal corrosion in there. It had a 5 stack HT100 drag set that was put in wrong. So A: the reel isn't that old and the factory messed up. Or B: Someone tried to upgrade the drag and didnt know how. They had 2 metal washers on top of each otherr and 2 HT-100m on each other.

sdlehr

Quote from: troutman561 on May 31, 2017, 07:27:59 PM
So I opened up the 66 today. Quite dirty but minimal corrosion in there. It had a 5 stack HT100 drag set that was put in wrong. So A: the reel isn't that old and the factory messed up. Or B: Someone tried to upgrade the drag and didnt know how. They had 2 metal washers on top of each otherr and 2 HT-100m on each other.
I vote for B
Sid Lehr

mo65

I'm going with B too...as I've seen this same type of improvising. What's happening here is the original stack in that gear was an asbestos brake lining 3-stack. The asbestos washers were much thicker than the modern HT-100 carbon washers, so folks will sometimes "double up" washers to reach the correct stack depth. The better choice is to ditch the original stack and order all new metal and fiber discs. A 5-stack will fit right in there, and if it's a bit too low an extra metal washer can be added on top to reach correct height. Or an extra wave washer, or even use one of those original thick metals from the stock stack.

troutman561

Quote from: mo65 on May 31, 2017, 08:24:36 PM

I'm going with B too...as I've seen this same type of improvising. What's happening here is the original stack in that gear was an asbestos brake lining 3-stack. The asbestos washers were much thicker than the modern HT-100 carbon washers, so folks will sometimes "double up" washers to reach the correct stack depth. The better choice is to ditch the original stack and order all new metal and fiber discs. A 5-stack will fit right in there, and if it's a bit too low an extra metal washer can be added on top to reach correct height. Or an extra wave washer, or even use one of those original thick metals from the stock stack.

Well the depth was perfect from what I saw. If they improvised they did it poorly as just switching a metal and a CF washer around would put it in the right order and still be the same height. I will be upgrading the drags and the gear sleeves. I also ordered a steel main gear for the 66. I've already spent more money on upgrades than I did for the reels themselves  :D. But at least I will know they will be lifetime reels after this. I am really liking this 209 as well. Cant wait to get it on some snapper.

mo65

Quote from: troutman561 on May 31, 2017, 09:06:14 PM
Well the depth was perfect from what I saw. If they improvised they did it poorly as just switching a metal and a CF washer around would put it in the right order and still be the same height.  I am really liking this 209 as well. Cant wait to get it on some snapper.

Ahh...I see what you're saying now...it already is a 5-stack...just goofed up! If those HT-100s are new you're good to go after you correct the order.

The 209 is a great little reel. That maroon plated model you have there is an older one...probably has a steel main gear. You could put new HT-100s and a steel gear sleeve in it also. Changing the #24-155 handle to a larger #24-66 helps too. Enjoy your reels!  8)

troutman561

Quote from: mo65 on May 31, 2017, 09:58:51 PM
Well the depth was perfect from what I saw. If they improvised they did it poorly as just switching a metal and a CF washer around would put it in the right order and still be the same height.  I am really liking this 209 as well. Cant wait to get it on some snapper.

Ahh...I see what you're saying now...it already is a 5-stack...just goofed up! If those HT-100s are new you're good to go after you correct the order.

The 209 is a great little reel. That maroon plated model you have there is an older one...probably has a steel main gear. You could put new HT-100s and a steel gear sleeve in it also. Changing the #24-155 handle to a larger #24-66 helps too. Enjoy your reels!  8)

I have yet to open up the 209, but I do hope its a steel main gear as you say. I do have a new drag set and gear sleeve on the way for it. Ill check into the handle as well. Thanks!

sdlehr

I've already spent more money on upgrades than I did for the reels themselves.
And so it begins.... we got another one hooked, guys! :)
Sid Lehr