114 gear sleeve seized to post

Started by wolvie, May 14, 2011, 08:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolvie

Hi everyone,

I searched for something similar, but did not find it.  Hopefully it will be an interesting post, even if the answer is simple.  I opened up a 114 (old style with bars rather than a half frame) and noticed that it had been upgraded to ht100s, but that there was a lot of slop in the sleeve.  Upon closer examination, I discovered that the gear sleeve was seized to the post and the whole thing was turning by the attachment point to the bridge plate.  This reel had been used with an electric reel, which has a  lot of torque, so something had to give, apparently that pressed connection was it. 

I pulled the retaining pin and tried to get the sleeve off the post, but it would not budge.  I ended up pressing it out by using the handle screw and a series of metal rods.  A bit of brass colored shavings came out with it, but the post itself seems none the worse for wear.  It will not go back in all the way, though, so I am sure there is something wrong with the sleeve.   There is also what looks like a stress fracture of the plate itself running through the hole where the post is pressed in. 

I am assuming that I will need a new bridge plate and sleeve, making it a simple solution, albeit a $21 one.   >:(

Is this a common occurrence?  I guess that the handle connection to the sleeve would normally round off under pressure if the sleeve seized, but the electric turns it with the handle screw rather than using the squared handle connection. 

What is funny is that I actually used the reel and it did not even feel rough.  I was just cleaning it out and checking to see if it had ht-100s.  I have half a mind to lube the press fit connection and put it back together to see how long it will work that way.

Alto Mare

I hate to tell you Wolvie but it's time to put that bridge to sleep. Although it seems like it's working, you won't be able to fish with it. Once the post turns at the attachment point, it's time to toss it. I did see a used one on Ebay for a reasonable price with free shipping, hope that helps you. Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i concur. 

you could put the gear sleeve in a vise and then try to pound it out the post.  it's easy to damage the post.  then you'd have to peen the post and get it to lock back into the bridge plate.  i've done it a number of times in a pinch.  it usually takes me about an hour to get it right, and i've had a bunch of practice at it. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wolvie

I had managed to press out the post with the handle screw and some rods.  Then I cleaned out some burrs inside the sleeve and was able to reassemble it.  Now the sleeve slides on the post and the post slides at the bridge plate. 

I have more time than money, at the moment, so I think I may try peening it.  I can't really make it any more broken than it already is and either way I get a bit of practice. 

Alan, do you use a peen hammer or the flat of a regular hammer?  What do you brace it on to keep from damaging the other end of the post?   Is this a common problem?

Thanks!

alantani

the stainless steel post has a "base" at the bottom.  i have some stainless steel washer with slide down the post but not past the base.  the washers do not contact the brass plate.  i place the post upside down in a vise and clamp the post.  the washers rest on top.  then i hammer the center of the back of the post with a dull center punch and that usually tightens up the post on the plate well enough. 

Alto Mare

Wolvie, did I mention that for $16 and free shipping you'll get the complete guts for that reel that someone is selling on Ebay? Gears also. I understand that you need to give it a go at it, I was there before. Unfortunatly it didn't work out for me and decided to just toss it whenever I run into that situation . My reel was a Penn 49 , I was able to tighten it but it didn't last long. Good luck to you with wathever you decide, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wolvie

Sal,  I searched for penn 114 and did see a bridge and sleeve for about $12.50 on ebay, but it is used, for a 114H, no returns accepted and the pic makes it hard to tell if the sleeve is rounded off or not.  

I searched for a bit, but could not find the guts for $16, but I will take another look.  Thanks for the tip!

wolvie

Alan, I understand how you did it without marring the post now, thanks.  I have a big dullish center punch, but the washers of the right size may be the issue for me.  Thanks for the info - I will probably give it a go just to see how it works, or doesn't.

wolvie

I think I found the ebay seller Sal mentioned: The Reel Graveyard.  It says 6/0 and does not specify 114, 114h, etc.  Is there a way to tell if it will work in my old 114?  I am worried it is for a 114H and will not fit my 114 sideplates. 

alantani

the 114 and 114h are totally different!