Shimano Trinidad 20

Started by Sulla, May 31, 2017, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sulla

Hi Guys, I have a question regarding the freespool on this reel. First , I was unhappy with the freespool even though it was recently serviced by shimano. So I decided some tsi321 was in order. I removeved the left side plate and removed both side plate and spool bearings. Cleaned them and a small drop on each bearing. Reassemble and the freespool is the same thing?

I play with the reel a little and notice that when in freespool when you turn the crank the spool moves? So my assumption is the spool shaft is ever so lightly rubbing inside the pinion?

Problem is these Shimano's intimidate me with all their tiny hidden parts and spring and so forth. So I don't want to disassemble the right side of the reel. So it take the left side apart again, and remove the spool. I took a q-tip and carefully insert it in the pinion hole and clean well and spin it inside in effect polishing it some. I clean the spool shaft that enters the pinion vigouresly as well. The I put a drop of TSI 321 on a clean q-tip and spin it inside the pinion hole and then with the same q-tip rub the spool shaft putting a super thing layer on there as well. I reassemble the reel and the freespool is mush better but not "free". When you turn the handle in freespool it still spins the spool some all be it much less.

Am I safe to assume this is what causing my poor freespool? And if so what can be done about it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions.

Bryan Young

You may need to polish down the spool shaft or polish the inner hole of the pinion bearing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Hamachi

X2 what Bryan said. That's why we used to go down to the tackle shop and spin a dozen of them. One would almost always be super tuned from the factory and spin forever. It may just be a little "tight" and will loosen up with use . We can hurry up that procedure, usually, with the polishing techniques. Sometimes spool runout (but still within specs) has something to do with it, also yoke and pinion angle and gear alignment might be slightly binding if the polishing doesn't work. Probably overthinking this though, just start with the basics and hopefully the desired results are obtained before getting too involved.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

handi2

I haven't seen very many Toriums with good freespool. Ive been through hundreds.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

exp2000

You have to remember that this reel does not have a fully floating pinion gear.

In essence, the pinion is actually supported by the spool shaft so there is always going to be some friction there.

But for this to actually drive the spool to any great degree may possibly suggest some irregularity in the shaft itself.
~

Sulla

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 31, 2017, 09:47:49 PM
You may need to polish down the spool shaft or polish the inner hole of the pinion bearing.

How exactly do
You polish down a spool
Shaft?
I have dremel tool. Is there a special buffer wheel and compound for this?

exp2000

Quote from: Bill Carson on June 01, 2017, 12:53:03 AM
How exactly do
You polish down a spool Shaft?

Dremel make a variety of felt buffing wheels which are designed to be used with polishing compounds for various materials.
You may have these in your Dremel Kitb or you could get the polishing compounds from your local hardware.

In a pinch you could use a cutting compound sold for polishing cars or if you happen to have some 3000 or 5000 grit sandpaper, this will also provide a mirror finish.
~

Sulla

Quote from: exp2000 on June 01, 2017, 01:54:05 AM
Quote from: Bill Carson on June 01, 2017, 12:53:03 AM
How exactly do
You polish down a spool Shaft?

Dremel make a variety of felt buffing wheels which are designed to be used with polishing compounds for various materials.
You may have these in your Dremel Kitb or you could get the polishing compounds from your local hardware.

In a pinch you could use a cutting compound sold for polishing cars or if you happen to have some 3000 or 5000 grit sandpaper, this will also provide a mirror finish.
~

Thanks for the advice guys! I had 1500 wet-dry
sandpaper that I took to the spool shaft ( just with my hands) and then finished it with some 3000 grit. Applied the thinnest layer of TSI321
and it's spins like a top now! Thanks again all.

boon

Quote from: handi2 on May 31, 2017, 11:08:39 PM
I haven't seen very many Toriums with good freespool. Ive been through hundreds.

I have a couple that I put open ceramic bearings in and polished the spool shaft, hooooooooweeeeee they spin like a top.