Penn Clocks

Started by sdlehr, May 21, 2017, 12:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

(Moderator Edit) This post was split off into a new subject from an existing thread here http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20414.new#new

In that same photo is a clock, in the lower right corner. There's a guy named Nick in NY that has a Penn clock he wants to trade. I wonder if it's the same clock??

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

QuoteIn that same photo is a clock, in the lower right corner. There's a guy named Nick in NY that has a Penn clock he wants to trade. I wonder if it's the same clock??

Coming from Nick it very well could be. Nick has been a collector for 25 years. He was collecting before it was of any interest to anyone. He was also at the Penn Estate auction in 2003 and bought many items there. I used to visit him years ago but he moved upstate New York and I have not seen him in a long time. He has an amazing collection of really rare high end stuff.

There are many varieties of Penn clocks. It would have to be seen to see which one it is.

coastal_dan

Mike - Funny how originally when i bought my clock I thought 'I got IT'...then after buying the 2004 catalog I looked at the cover and  I realized there were at least a couple designs, haha.  Leave it to Penn... ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike - Funny how originally when i bought my clock I thought 'I got IT'...then after buying the 2004 catalog I looked at the cover and  I realized there were at least a couple designs, haha.  Leave it to Penn...

Knowing how many Penn Clocks there are could be a interesting study. I bet there are many more than a couple, or even a few.

Superhook

The interesting thing about all these clocks is how many are factory made.

If you look at the back and they have the modern electronics then you know they are Repro and not highly valuable . Modern clock with a cardboard face change & they look good and function well.

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on May 21, 2017, 06:38:15 AM
There are many varieties of Penn clocks. It would have to be seen to see which one it is.

Here's a pic of the clock Nick has up for trade elsewhere
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

We were comparing it (at least I was) to the clock in this pic. I think it's the same style but not made at the same time. There are some minor differences I can see in just that little bit of the catalog pic.
Sid Lehr

Superhook

Sid,

Nick's is the genuine article. Even lights up. The modern clocks sold on Ebay have a cardboard clockface insert and no light.

Ray

Shark Hunter

I would love to have that clock.
You can tell it is old school.
Like it should be on top a old time gas pump.
Very Cool. ;)
Life is Good!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

coastal_dan

That is an awesome piece!  I just have one of the metal units that has the cardboard insert and no light, not that hard to find; a couple a year sell on eBay.  I still like it, vintage look and it tells time  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...