Penn Reel bridge ????

Started by tx_bigfish, May 16, 2011, 07:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tx_bigfish

Hello,
everyone I am new to this site, and new to servicing reels. I am taking my penn 12/0 reel apart my question is how do I know if the bridge is bad or not? and how do I know what other parts are bad I replace the drags to the ht - 100's Sorry if this is a stupid question but I really don't know
thanks

Alto Mare

Your question is not easy to answer, we need to know from you how the reel is performing. If we had the reel in our hands, it wouldn't be a problem . If you're going to take the reel  apart for the first time, you might want to check my tutorial on the  Penn 116L, under Penn Tutorials. I have all of the parts layed out , that should  be helpful to you and we're here to help you through it. Welcome aboard! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Welcome aboard from Northern California!
Okay, now for your reel. What was it doing before? Was it crunchy or gritty feeling or sounding, no freespool, handle turning both ways, no drag to speak of, etc.? All of those answers will help a lot to solving any problem(s).
As for your bridge, if you have completely stripped the reel including removing the gear sleeve, then if the bridge post is straight and on tight to the bridge plate, the bridge is probably okay. Can the bridge be cleaned up without serious pitting from corrosion left behind? Bridges aren't a common broblem. It's usually bearings, drags, gears and the gear sleeve, and occasionally the dog and spring.
We'll be happy to help when there's more info to go on.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

steve, the plate itself is almost always fine.  rarely a screw hole gets stripped.  the post will sometimes loosen up at the base.  that happens but it's rare.  the gear sleeve is the most trouble.  the tops commonly round off under extreme pressure from the handle.  it's not usual at all for the ratchet at the base to suffer damage.  if the gear sleeve is not lubed at the factory, it will easily corrode. 

so check that the gear sleeve turns easily, make sure there is no damage and that there is not too much slop in it.  that should pretty much do it.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!