Grease on Rings Gap

Started by Gman_WC, May 17, 2011, 07:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

Rebuilding a Penn 4/0 and I noticed that after I grease the inner and outer rings of the side plate, the harness lug does not go
back on tight as it was before taking it apart.
Would not wiping off excess geaase allow that much space between the side plate and rings?
I'm only adding a small amount with an acid brush to cover and then tighten the screws in a uniform fashon-g
Walnut Creek, CA

alantani

i like to pop the rings off and use a toothbrush to add a very thin coat of grease to the plastic and to both sides of the ring.  the coat of grease is VERY thin. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gman_WC

But would this cause the harness lug area on the ring to not tighten back up to where your not being able to move or wiggle the lug. I'll try wiping off the excess. I noticed that of the 8 screws, the only shorter one on the Tiburon frame was the 6 O clock or bottem screw and was reassembled that way.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

Quote from: Gman_WC on May 17, 2011, 07:27:13 PM
But would this cause the harness lug area on the ring to not tighten back up to where your not being able to move or wiggle the lug. I'll try wiping off the excess. I noticed that of the 8 screws, the only shorter one on the Tiburon frame was the 6 O clock or bottem screw and was reassembled that way.
-g

Gary, you mentioned that you're rebuilding a Penn 4/0, did you use the same parts?   I've seen two types of harness lugs on a 4/0, one with round holes with dimension of 2.8 mm in thickness and the others with a half-circular shape with dimension of  2.19mm thick. I know that .10 mm isn't much(the thickness of a sheet of paper) but I believe that it would cause the harness lug to wiggle a bit.
About the screws, if you have a narrow frame on that reel, the shorter screws need to be by the rod clamp posts, you wouldn't be able to use longer screws there.
About the grease, I do not believe that excessive grease would cause the harness lugs to wiggle, most gets squished out. I've done a few customs in the past and did experience the same on some, the movement was so minor that I wasn't really worried about it. There isn't really much you could do about it, unless you use the older style harness lugs with the half hole. You probably had some dried-up grease holding them tight prior to disassembly.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gman_WC

I did a full tear down and rebuild with new drags and full clean/grease. No new parts.
It has not been apart for about ten years and it was just time before my upcoming Baja adventure.
I may try wiping off the excess grease from the side plates. I just don't want to go farmer tight
and put the screws throught the rings. -g
Walnut Creek, CA

mackereljoe

Check if there's a foreign matter that's wedge somewhere creating a gap.  In my case it's a small part of cotton swab stuck between the frame and sideplate while using it to brush grease creating a very insignificant gap but enough to bother me and do a couple of redo.

Gman_WC

No it's really clean. I spent a few hours on it. I'll be taking it back apart when my
new custom bearing puller arrives and if see I didn't get enough Cal's on the drags.
They may have dried up without a AT overflow  ;D
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

broadway

Gman,

It has nothing to do with grease...  Check to see if there are any bends, dents or dings around the rings that would cause a seesaw effect when you put the rings back on the side plates.  Next, check the side plate where the rings go for old, dried grease or a raised imperfection. Are you using a tiburon frame?  Big question, very important.... what did you clean it with?  Sometimes the side plates absorb moisture from whatever we use to clean them... could something have warped?  These are the only other things I could think of that Sal and others didn't suggest (cause they're a less likely, but still a possibility.)  Best of luck!
Dom

wallacewt

i had the same problem with the rings.they wouldnt sit flush on a beat up 113h.they where warped.i just greased and let it be.are the rings warped?

Irish Jigger

Old black Penn side plates were prone to swelling if left wet. Get a file and go round the side plates until the rings are a slide fit. Fiddly but it works.

Alto Mare

The file would work  but you need to be very careful, acouple of slips and you screw up your plates. If you have some inner rings laying around for that reel, swap them , you might get lucky. If you're using the reel for yourself let it go, you will be fine, tightness doesn't make it any stronger, too tight would actually work against you.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gman_WC

Just to recap. Reel was stripped and guts Chem dipped, wiped cleaned, then soap and water washed clean before ovan dried. Side plates were sprayed with wd-40, wiped off and soap/water bath, and then air dried.
The reel was tight before taking it apart. The only issue now are the lug rings being loose. -g
Walnut Creek, CA

alantani

i dunno, gary.  maybe they're loose now because there's not crud to hold them in place......  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gman_WC

Thats the strange thing Alan, the reel was never really that cruded up except for the insides where the grease was south and had a
brown tint. I know when I moved these new reels into tiburon frames about 12 years ago, marine grease was used. I kind of expected it '
to look nasty, but the play where the lugs go inside the rings is strange. Maybe I'll just put them inside the rings backwards and seal it, as there never used anyway. -g
Walnut Creek, CA

broadway

Stay away from soaking the side plates in water, especially if older with more of a matte finish.  As for the wd-40 on the side plates... that's a big no no.  The oils can seep in and swell up the side plate.  Don't ask how I know that :-[  Good luck with her!
Dom