Penn 112H upgraded handles?

Started by Fish67, June 10, 2017, 01:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish67

Bought a Penn 112h and serviced it with new SS sleeves and upgraded to a 5 stack drag system, and finally took it out yesterday on a salmon trip. Pulled 3 big salmons and the reel performed well, but I was not too happy with the handles. Looking for suggestions please for a longer handle. Pics please if you have any. I appreciate the help.  :)

sdlehr

Be careful how long you go with the handle. Sal has mentioned more than once that he's started to strip gears when trying to lengthen the handle by more than 1/2", but that may have been mostly with brass gears. Too much torque from a longer lever arm (handle) puts the gears through a workout they weren't necessarily designed for. This may not apply as much to the high speed senators, they've got bronze-manganese main gears and stainless pinions, but be careful. Hopefully, Sal will weigh in with his opinion.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Army_of_One

Quote from: sdlehr on June 10, 2017, 02:08:17 PM
Be careful how long you go with the handle. Sal has mentioned more than once that he's started to strip gears when trying to lengthen the handle by more than 1/2", but that may have been mostly with brass gears. Too much torque from a longer lever arm (handle) puts the gears through a workout they weren't necessarily designed for. This may not apply as much to the high speed senators, they've got bronze-manganese main gears and stainless pinions, but be careful. Hopefully, Sal will weigh in with his opinion.

Sid
Sid, wouldn't he fair better with one of the offset arms from Adam?  I'm not sure how much longer it is over his stock one, but it's 5/8" longer than Sal's.
Another day in Paradise!

Bryan Young

Have you tried the power handle or AT's power arm with the 3/0 handle?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fish67

Thank you Sid for the tip.

Army of one and Bryan - where can I get the offset handle by Adam's? I also have not tried the Power handle. Is it available on the forum or a different website?

Three se7ens

Quote from: Fish67 on June 10, 2017, 02:59:56 PM

Army of one and Bryan - where can I get the offset handle by Adam's? I also have not tried the Power handle. Is it available on the forum or a different website?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11661.0

Pm me for ordering info.

mo65

Quote from: Three se7ens on June 10, 2017, 05:08:09 PM
Pm me for ordering info.

Hi Adam,
I sent you a PM a few days ago about this same 112H/Jigmaster offset handle...maybe you didn't get it. At any rate, I need one of these too. I'm not sure if you still have my billing info...if not just message me. Thanks.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Three se7ens

Quote from: mo65 on June 10, 2017, 05:15:20 PM
Pm me for ordering info.

Hi Adam,
I sent you a PM a few days ago about this same 112H/Jigmaster offset handle...maybe you didn't get it. At any rate, I need one of these too. I'm not sure if you still have my billing info...if not just message me. Thanks.  8)

I did get it.  Ill be sending out invoices tonight for yours and a few more.

mo65

Quote from: Three se7ens on June 10, 2017, 05:16:49 PM
I did get it.  Ill be sending out invoices tonight for yours and a few more.

Great! Thanks again.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Fish67

Quote from: Fish67 on June 10, 2017, 02:59:56 PM

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11661.0

Pm me for ordering info.

Hi Adam, sent you a PM yesterday. thanks!

Fish67

I've decided to go with Adam's offset handles and Alan's C Eva Knobs. I think this will be the best setup for me for this reel. Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Just found something concerning. Thought it was dirt or something, but apparently my side plate is cracked. Now, am going to purchase a new side plate, but I want to add double dogs on this reel. I'm going to use this side plate to practice. Do I just purchase the stock dogs and make that work or is there someone here that already has these dogs pre-made?

Hairline crack in the middle
[/URL]

Army_of_One

The smaller reels are harder to do. I would get a stainless bridge with the dogs already on it. It's not that expensive and cuts out a lot of oops.  I was mistaken.  There doesn't seem to be a 112H stainless bridge.  :-[  You've got some grinding to do.  You might have one of the left/right hand models that is missing more material on the secondary side.
I popped mine open since I could hear that it wasn't double dogged. I remember why now.  The second dog needs a different profile and maybe a flat spring, in my opinion.
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

Mine is double dogged with the coil spring type dog.
I got it from Lee. Accurate Frame and Adam's handle really sets it off.

Life is Good!

Army_of_One

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 14, 2017, 11:54:18 PM

Can you get a close shot of the second dog for us please?  I would like to see how much he cut out.  I don't have that kind of confidence in myself.  :-\
Another day in Paradise!

Fish67

Quote from: Army_of_One on June 15, 2017, 12:32:44 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 14, 2017, 11:54:18 PM

Can you get a close shot of the second dog for us please?  I would like to see how much he cut out.  I don't have that kind of confidence in myself.  :-\

I was just going to ask myself.  :) there is another member that set his up with a flat spring. Is that just a thin piece of flat metal?

SharkHunter - that is one sweet 112H. I'm thinking about getting a tiburon frame for the 112h. Especially, seeing yours, it's a must.  ;)