2/0 "Bait Special" conversion of a 3/0

Started by mhc, June 11, 2017, 12:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

John's explanation is correct and quicker  - you beat me to it  ;D
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

thorhammer

I figured you might be asleep this time of day down there Mike!

farmer56

farmer56 here  for some reason pictures did not show up... im using a dell chrome book    .... any ideas...   sorry now they show up

sdlehr

Thanks, Mike. I was looking at the welds not knowing there was a cutout in the original stand. Now I get it.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

TheReelShop

steelfish

The Baja Guy

mhc

I had a few spare hours today and made some progress with the side rings and spacer bars. I trimmed the rings to length and tidied them up a bit, ready to sand and polish.
I said earlier the spacer bars need to be at least 5mm thick to take the 5-40 screw holes, but the bars don't need to be that thick for the full length. I have ground a couple of mm off the back with a bench grinder to make them a bit lighter;

I also used a half round file on the ends to remove some material between the screw holes;

Mike

sdlehr

Sid Lehr

Rothmar2

Coming along real nice Mike. Looking forward to seeing it all polished up and assembled. Another unique piece for the arsenal!
PS - Jigmaster parts arrived today. Thanks heaps.

mhc

No problem at all Chris, glad they got there before the weekend - hope you get time to use them. Good to see you back on deck, or off deck and back on land might be more like it. ;D

Thanks Sid, I should have weighed the spacers beforehand - but they feel a fair bit lighter now.

Mike

Rothmar2

The parts aren't for me Mike, for another SS frame Jigmaster conversion I'm doing for someone down here. Will get some pix up when its put together. Then I might be able to finish my JM's and get onto other projects.
The more I look at those cross bars, the more I like them, and appreciate the work that has gone into them.

mhc

Talking about the rod clamp studs - the Penn 33-113 clamp (as well as some other Penn clamps) use 10-24 UNC thread studs while a few tiburon and accurate clamps I have use 8-32 UNC studs. I decided to go with the polymer 33-113 and 10-24 thread for corrosion resistance compared to an aluminium tib or accurate clamp - and that's what  I had on hand  :).
I used the bench grinder and belt sander to make some narrow lock nuts that will fit inside the spacer rings

I also ground the head of the 10-24 screw to about 2mm thickness - as it turned out that wasn't enough to clear the spool. I'll need to think about that a bit more, the holes in the stand are threaded so I could cut the head off completely if it comes to that.
I haven't mentioned I used 6-40 screws to attach the spacer rings to the stand and 5-40 for the rest. The heads of the 6-40 needed to be ground down to fit flush with the spacer rings.

The frame components sanded and semi polished - i'm not sure if I will fully polish it, I don't want to spend too much time on the reel.  ::)

And the assembled frame;

And with the rod holder studs installed - showing the head of the stud sitting too high;

And the narrow lock nuts inside the spacer rings;

I assembled the reel again to check how things were sitting before I started to make any modifications to the bridge. It still spins freely in certain positions, but a small side to side adjustment of the spool will cause a slight rub of the spool, luckily when it's centred it's OK. I'm thinking it's probably a slight twist in the frame the way it was put together this time, with all custom parts the order of assembly and tightening the screws etc can make a difference to how things sit.

I think that's about it for the frame - the next step is to make a few changes to reel itself.

Mike

sdlehr

Looking good, Mike. The talent on this site amazes me. If we all put our heads together we could make and market one helluva reel!

Sid
Sid Lehr

Rothmar2

What you have done here, without a lathe or mill, is really inspiring. This is truly a "hand made" frame in every sense of the word. Great work! If you want the frame parts polished, send them down to me and I'll get it done for you.

ScottOz

Is there such a thing as skill envy? If so I have it reel bad right now.(pun intended). All that with basic tools. Craftsmanship.Love it.