Just got me a P229-F in fantastic shape

Started by steelfish, June 15, 2017, 01:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I would call this reel as almost new, if not for the lettering that are dull but the rest of the reel is almost new you wont find any single scratch or a boat rash on it Yaaay !!!!
According to the owner which supposedly was given to him with only just 4 uses from his uncle and it was still in box, the last owner never used it for the last 10 years cuz he moved from the beach to the mountains and only fish in freshwater, I traded him this reel for lots of freshwater lures that were only collectin dust, plastics, crankbaits, etc that I wasnt using anylonger many of them still in box (same story than him but backwards.. I moved to the beach 12 years ago), anyway, he was happy at end (I throw in his box more than double of the lures we agree on the trade just because and I was also happy with the traded reel, when I got home I couldnt wait a day without opening to check if the inside was as in pristime shape as the exterior was.
well for my luck it was, so Im happy as a kid with a new toy, for my surprise I found out that this model P229-F has a lot of improved goods over others, lots of aluminium everywhere, the handle, bars, base and sleeve is SS, this reel came to stay with me for many years.

I will post some pics just to show-off nothing that you havent saw before, but just a small surprise or novelty over the rest of the newell pics I have seen before.
this newell is wearing a 4 drag stack system, just like the one that Dwight (Newell Nut) invented few years ago (correct me if Im wrong on that), or this reel was modified by him or it's just a copy-cat mod from his idea.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10583.0

check the next pics of that mod, other thing that got my attention is that eventho the reel has that mod the drag washers dont look like carbontex, are they stockers or any other upgraded drags ?

NOW THE PICS

the metal washer on the bottom of the sleeve is strongly glued to the base, I tried to take it out with some hits with the AT wrench but no avail.

this is the current drag stack +1 for the mod sleeve upright

and these are the drag washers, stockers?, I have a jigmaster dragwasher kit to change it if necessary

this is how I got it

and then it got  alatanitazed, yahama grease and 321 oil

the stock grease was solidified and smelled rancid (sp) also the spool was only spinning for 2-3 seconds with no line, but after I cleaned everything good piece by pieced and put grease and oil the reel now sounds like a revolver gun and spool spins for 20-25 seconds

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelhead_killer

That is an original 4 stack drag.  Don't remove that washer on the drag sleeve.  It is supposed to be there. The four stack is preferred to the 3 stack.  IMO

Andy
><)))">

bluefish69

Alex

Turn the Spring Washer in the Bearing Cup so the edges hit the outside of the Bearing. You don't want it touching the center of the Bearing.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

steelfish

Quote from: bluefish69 on June 15, 2017, 03:15:44 AM
Alex

Turn the Spring Washer in the Bearing Cup so the edges hit the outside of the Bearing. You don't want it touching the center of the Bearing.

Mike

Thanks Mike I Will do that asap
The Baja Guy

Newell Nut

What you have is the original version of the P series which had the 4 stack drag. You need to know that the bars, base, star and handle were of a grade of aluminum that is highly susceptible to electrolysis from salt water use. Make sure every screw is removed and threads lubricated. Wash very good with fresh water after each use. Do not leave stored on a rod after use. Salt can attach the base where it rest in the reel seat. Take care of those little issues and the reel will last a very long time. Remove some of the grease in the picture and especially around the dog. That grease can get sticky and interfere with the dog operation.

What I did on the 4 stack is figure out a way to duplicate it with later models using thin CF and thin SS drag washers.

Nice find.

mo65

Nice clean up. I love these 229s...gonna get me one of these before it's over.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 15, 2017, 11:07:40 AM
...... You need to know that the bars, base, star and handle were of a grade of aluminum that is highly susceptible to electrolysis from salt water use. Make sure every screw is removed and threads lubricated. .....

thanks Dwigh, I was aware of the electrolysis problem with the the first gen aluminium used on newells so, I took every screw and lubricate them well, but I just couldnt took one on the bars, actually all screws were pretty tight and really hard to take them out (electrolysis problem was there but nothing big), but one of them I just couldnt take it out, I didnt tried harder cuz I was afraid to brake it and that would be a mayor problem.

any recommendation for that screw, leave the bar and screw/ring with ton of oil for few days or just leave it like that?

check the next pic, everything was unistalled but you can see the bar attached to the ring because of that anoying screw

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Great score Alex. I've always wanted 229 above all others but have so far resisted the Newell bug, except for a pristine 5 series I bought fir twenty bucks. 

Newell Nut

Alex

Put some liquid wrench on the screw connection. Heat it gently with a grill lighter should be enough. A crème brulee torch works great but the grill lighter will work with a few more seconds. Add liquid wrench to it while it is hot. Put on a leather glove and use a short screw driver and you should get it to free up. To be safe heat and lubricate a few times. Liquid wrench will find a way in.

Dwight

steelfish

Thanks compadre, I will do it this weekend
The Baja Guy

Rancanfish

Sweet little reel.  Randy Pauly can make it even better....
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

steelfish

thats a sweet little reel with the tib frame

somehow I really like the stock bars and would like keep the original parts on this old school reel,
pretty sure it wont see much action since I have many more reels on the same line class but it will be used from time to time.

The Baja Guy

Swami805

Nice reel, will be fine stock. Once you've fished it a few times might move up the ladder a bit. Maybe let your daughter fish it,great reel for smaller hands to learn on. My daughter learned to fish a conventional reel with newells, caught a lot of fish. Catch em up!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Newell Nut

Do not ever think it will not handle a 50 pound AJ or cobia because it will do the job nicely.