50SW Frame mishap

Started by barkley1956, June 18, 2017, 04:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barkley1956

So I had a 50SW with a really stuck top right side plate screw. I did my best to loosen it by soaking it a few days and then some heat but it was in solid. Sent to my buddy who works in a machine shop (where I used to work until I retired) and it did not go well. He drilled right thru the top of the housing.  :( Anyone know where I might find a frame? Part # 183-50SW

Bill B

It is no longer available from pennpart.com, best I can suggest is ebay, JDLtreasures or Randy at Vintage Offshore tackle.  Beyond that maybe a donor reel......Hopefully others may chime in.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Sluggo

Maybe post a wtb on bloody decks I saw a few international frames for sale either there or eBay within the last 2 weeks  I don't remember which size they were

Indyfisher

You have a picture of the damage? There could be a solution if it's only cosmetic and a lot cheaper fix than a new frame.

thorhammer

May be able to install a heli coil.  $3. 

Sluggo

barkley1956

Here are a few pics. Thank you for your replies!!!

MarkT

Well, the stuck screw is gone!  Did you forget to add "keep the frame intact" to your requirements?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

conchydong

Give Tiburon a call. I think they make a frame with a removable crossbar for 50SWs. If you needed a 50S, I could have helped you out.

Good Luck,

Scott

thorhammer

Ow. Randy Pauly may have something.

Shark Hunter

Dang!
What is the name of that shop, so I know not to go there. :D
Life is Good!

handi2

I would use it like it is. No one would steal it :)
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Indyfisher

Tell your machinist friend it's time for him to retire. You're going to need a new frame. I don't think it could be weld filled, grinded down and tapped. I'm sorry but you could have done better with a 12 volt drill free hand.

barkley1956

Quote from: Indyfisher on June 20, 2017, 11:17:37 PM
Tell your machinist friend it's time for him to retire. You're going to need a new frame. I don't think it could be weld filled, grinded down and tapped. I'm sorry but you could have done better with a 12 volt drill free hand.

That is exactly my thought

barkley1956

Quote from: handi2 on June 20, 2017, 11:14:44 PM
I would use it like it is. No one would steal it :)

The threads still grab deep so that is what I am going to do! I will seal it with something from outside.