Need input on Penn Sargus.

Started by Pelagic Playtime, May 19, 2011, 04:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelagic Playtime

Hi all. Thinking of getting a Penn Sargus. The little low-profile baitcasting reel for throwing plastics at calico bass.

Anyone have any experience with it? Good or bad?

How does it compare to it's Shimano and Daiwa counterparts used for the same purpose?

Thanks all.

Pelagic Playtime.

alantani

i've never opened one up.  hopefully someone here has. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Pelagic Playtime

I Don't know Alan. My post has been up for days. You would think SOMEONE out there owns one :-\

With Penns reputation for building bigger beefier reels then the rest, the Sargus mite make a good baitcast reel for salt water.

Pelagic Playtime.

Alto Mare

I pesonally have not seen one, but I looked around to see if anyone else has. I did find some good reviews on it, I also looked at the schematics, it appears to be a solid reel, the only thing that I didn't  like about it was the retaining spacer. I had something similar that type of spacer with the 3 screws and that was the last reel that I would ever purchase with that design. If you're going to use it for saltwater fishing, I recommend removing the 3 screws  on that spacer and grease them after each trip ( Just my opinion ). I'm a Penn guy and only fish with Penn, most of my spinning reels are the SS models. After seeing what Penn has come up within the past 20 years, it would be very hard for me to give up my older SS models. Good luck to you with whatever you decide, Sal

Hopefully someone here has one and could give you more information on it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

nlam004

Hey,
I own two of those reels both for the salt.  I've used them for about 2 years now and service them myself.  They are relatively easy to take apart.  The left side plate is unlocked by an inconspicuous plastic button, and the right plate is kept on by a screw covered by the spool (in addition to the side plate screws). The spool bearings are 3x4x10 of which the shields are held by a retainer ring.  The internals are similar to design with other baitcasters with multiple drag washers (unlike the 2 washers in last years curados).  The handle and star drag control  are metal, and it has a larger spool like a 300 size. There is an external magnetic cast control wheel, and in internal centrifugal system with a series of small plastic weights and springs.  Its nice to have both, but the centrifugal system is only accessible with a screw driver, and the weights have to be carefully moved it's, one by one, so I wouldn't recommend changing while fishing.  Drag pressure is good, I keep the drags greased and maintain my gear so I don't really have any problems.  The only problems I've had are a failing level wind after two years of socal surf fishing.  I replaced the pawl and solved the problem.  Great reel, but the thing is, it's not a very popular reel.  Thus, as I found from Penn Corp and Scott's b&t theyre going to stop stocking the individual parts. Sorry, it's a later reply but if you still want more detail let me know.  
Nick

Ellis Feibush

I own both a Sargus and a Battle, both 4000 series loaded with 10lb. Ande line. Once you put a couple of fingerprints of Cals on the metal washers, the drag works smoothly and oiling up bail hinges and line roller guide, the bail works fine. However, when using the Sargus on large Bluefish and Stripers, though the reel works fine, it feels very, very small, as though it's about to fly apart in 50 pieces, but it works fine and comes back wanting more abuse. Mind you, nothing breaks on the real and it can take real punishment, it just feels small. Sorry for the late reply.