new Avet SX

Started by Get A Reel Life, May 19, 2011, 05:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Get A Reel Life

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new Avet SX and I saw on another forum topic that the MXL has the drag washer glued onto the sideplate.  I'm assuming that this is also done for the SX.  Now I'm not so sure that I want to buy one so my question is... When it comes time to replace the drag washer, will there be any problems in removing the drag washer from the side plate or possibly damaging the sideplate when trying to replace the drag washer?

akfish

Avet does glue the drag washer to the spool. This is done to prevent water and corrosion from getting under the drag washer. It seems to work ok, especially if you grease the drag washer. The reality is that the drag washer will rarely ever wear out; it's thick carbon fiber. If you do need to replace the drag washer, Avet will sell you a spool-- with a new drag washer -- for a reasonable price.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Get A Reel Life

Quote from: akfish on May 19, 2011, 08:10:54 PM
Avet does glue the drag washer to the spool. This is done to prevent water and corrosion from getting under the drag washer. It seems to work ok, especially if you grease the drag washer. The reality is that the drag washer will rarely ever wear out; it's thick carbon fiber. If you do need to replace the drag washer, Avet will sell you a spool-- with a new drag washer -- for a reasonable price.

Thanks akfish.  I love how small the reel is and what it's capable of pulling.  Just wanted to make sure that nobody's had any problems with the SX.  Now, I'm also thinking of buying an MXL in addition to the SX.

alantani

the glue could fail as well, which is why even a glued on drag washer should be greased.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishermans Paradise

I have an SX 5.3 and absolutely love it.  It has become my go-to reel for 90% of my fishing needs, it casts very well, is easy to maintain and here in new england, has plenty of power an capacity for anything swimming on the inshore scene, blues, stripers, blackfish etc.  And yes my SX has the glued on drag, coated of course with a light coat of Cal's !

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Get A Reel Life on May 19, 2011, 05:15:13 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new Avet SX and I saw on another forum topic that the MXL has the drag washer glued onto the sideplate.  I'm assuming that this is also done for the SX.  Now I'm not so sure that I want to buy one so my question is... When it comes time to replace the drag washer, will there be any problems in removing the drag washer from the side plate or possibly damaging the sideplate when trying to replace the drag washer?

When you say new SX or MXL are you talking about the Raptor series? Alan or anyone else have you had a chance to open up a Raptor, I just woundering what is going on inside the new reels fron Avet?

Get A Reel Life

Thanks to everyone for the replies.  I actually wasn't looking at the raptor series.  Yesterday I ended up buying the 5.3:1 single speed SX in the blue color.  I had 25# straight mono spooled onto it.  Alan, thanks for the tip about the glue for the drag washer possibly coming off.  I'll definitely grease the drag.  Here's another thing though... I was playing with the reel last night and I noticed that there was some backplay on the handle - about 3/4 of an inch.  I don't think that's enough space for a fish to drop the hook but I was hoping that there wouldn't be any back play at all.  Anyone experience the same thing with their Avet's?  Does that happen with the MXLs as well?

akfish

Avets do not have "instant anti-reverse" so there will always be a small amount of handle back play. Don't worry about it. I much prefer some back play to an anti-reverse bearing failure. But do grease the drag.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Get A Reel Life

Definitely will grease the drag.  Much thanks for everyone's input.  Every member on this site has great info.  Good luck to everyone on their next fishing trip.

Cowbass

If you fish this reel with your thumb on the spool you will barely feel the back play. I love my avets. Check my pic lol and it doesn't include the new Hxw raptor I just got.
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!