Squall 60LD line suggestions

Started by jnd1959, June 24, 2017, 02:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnd1959

Hello all. I've been lurking around for quite a while and finally have a question I couldn't find an answer to with search.  I have a Squall 60 that I want to use as a tuna rig. I know this reel is rated for 100# braid. I wanted to put a reverse top shot of mono then 80# braid. Since this is a graphite frame will it handle 80# if I keep the drag within specs (16-20#)?  I usually am not heavy on a drag preferring to let the setting work on the fish.  Is this enough drag for yf up to about 80#?  I've caught them before but most of my fishing is kings and jacks in the gulf.  I Will use this reel about twice a year.

Additionally, which handle configuration would work best if i use it as a freelined bait rig?
Thanks.

Porthos

Though there is no official failure point published (no manufacturer in their right mind would do so), settings above 25+ lbs seem to be typical in end user reports. Now, did everybody who suffered a field frame failure actually set their drags with a scale to an exact number and was able to ID the exact drag value at point of failure? I'm putting my bets on "NO." Drag  increases as line is reduced on the spool according to the principle of levers.

The 1/3 rule for 80lb is 26.67lbs of total drag or 24lbs from top of spool once the approximate 2lbs of friction from the rod guides is factored in. Of course this assumes one can physically fish 26.67 lbs in a real sustained fight. YMMV.

IMHO, typically 2/3 of the manufacturer's rating is a reasonable rule of thumb for actual usable drag. For 1/4 rule, to get 20lbs drag would be 18lbs from top of spool. This is within reason and was what you already had in mind and approaches 2/3 of the 60LD's official 33lb rating.

Perhaps another question that needs to be answered is whether you really want to fight a fish that would eat 80lb line at 4.3:1? Seems rather high for an 8olb setup...it is a single speed after all.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: jnd1959 on June 24, 2017, 02:38:09 AM
Hello all. I've been lurking around for quite a while and finally have a question I couldn't find an answer to with search.  I have a Squall 60 that I want to use as a tuna rig. I know this reel is rated for 100# braid. I wanted to put a reverse top shot of mono then 80# braid. Since this is a graphite frame will it handle 80# if I keep the drag within specs (16-20#)?  I usually am not heavy on a drag preferring to let the setting work on the fish.  Is this enough drag for yf up to about 80#?  I've caught them before but most of my fishing is kings and jacks in the gulf.  I Will use this reel about twice a year.

Additionally, which handle configuration would work best if i use it as a freelined bait rig?
Thanks.

At 16-20 lbs of drag IMO the reel should be fine, but I feel 20 lbs of drag is at the top end for most graphite framed reels. 80 lb sized tuna at the top end should not need more than the 16 lbs of drag to land in most cases, so I feel you should be fine and even if a larger model needing close to 20 or so lbs of drag is hooked you should be covered.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to say the longest handle setting will give you the most cranking power, the shorter the handle setting will allow one to crank the reel faster, pick up more faster but you lose power with the shorter setting. Live bait fishing there is not much need for a fast line retrieve so for myself I'd go with the power of the longer setting. Even when trolling lures I'd look for power over speed. Fast line retrieval on a reels are most often used then using lures cast or dropped over the side of the boat and cranked back to entice a bite. IMO live baiting/live lining and trolling a fast crank is not the most important thing on a reel.

alantani

A 60 pound topshot with your choice of 80 to 100 pound braid is the most i would go. Set the drag to 15 to 18 pounds at strike.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jnd1959

Thanks to all.  I appreciate the help!

jnd1959

Porthos, I'm saving up for that two speed and hopefully will have it before the fall tuna trip. In which case this would be my backup reel.  Thanks

Porthos

Quote from: jnd1959 on June 24, 2017, 10:59:47 AM
Porthos, I'm saving up for that two speed and hopefully will have it before the fall tuna trip. In which case this would be my backup reel.  Thanks

I was fishing dropper loop at Guadalupe with a 50lb setup with 15lb drag from top of spool. Even with using the rail, towards the end of fight with the YT, the thought "Hmm, going to a lower gear wouldn't be too bad" popped into my mind. Warren Hamachi was having a good laugh as he yelled (knowing full well that I was cranking a Daiwa 400H):

"Hey Wai! Push the button! Push the button!"