Opinion Please on 2 Penns

Started by Beefer, May 21, 2011, 12:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefer

As a general question, which is a better reel; Penn 340GTI Levelwind (2005+/-) or Penn 114H with the maroon sides?

I have both, but don't need both. Trying to decide which I should keep, and which I should sell.

Thanks!

Gman_WC

What am I going to be fishing for would be a better question to ask in my opinion.
The 6/0 Penn has got a bit more drag and you could use to troll school tuna and
I would not feel outgunned using it for smaller bill fish in the 200-300lb range if it
were in a one piece frame.
I've never been a fan of level wind reels for saltwater fishing
but I guess in a pinch you could use it for light trolling duty for salmon.
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

Roger

Quote from: Gman_WC on May 21, 2011, 04:39:54 AM
What am I going to be fishing for would be a better question to ask in my opinion.
The 6/0 Penn has got a bit more drag and you could use to troll school tuna and
I would not feel outgunned using it for smaller bill fish in the 200-300lb range if it
were in a one piece frame.
I've never been a fan of level wind reels for saltwater fishing
but I guess in a pinch you could use it for light trolling duty for salmon.
-gary

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

akfish

Unless you absolutely need a level wind, keep the 114H. I see quite a few 340s and 345s in the shop and many have serious problems. Their frames are multi-piece graphite and torque frequently -- frying the gears and wiping out the level wind. The expensive ball bearings under the star and gear sleeve go out too frequently. And too often the brass inserts in the frame pop out. For people who must have a level wind that large I recommend the Shimano Tekota 700 or 800. The new Penn Fathom series looks good too but I've seen exactly one  so I can't recommend it quite yet.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

I'm not a fan of Graphite frames, I would hold on to the 114H.  Parts on the 114H are still easily obtainable ( not that you're going to need any, beside the drags). With the right set-up and usage this reel is capable of handling anything in the water. Just steer away from the newer models. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Beefer

Thanks guys... you confirmed my thoughts. I'll keep the tried and true 114H, and ditch the 340. For some reason when I posted the Q, I thought they were both 6/0, but I glanced at the box, and saw the 340 is only a 4/0. I have 113's that I won't give up. I like the older stuff anyways.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

QuoteI like the older stuff anyways

Don't let go of the old stuff... ya can't get it anymore and in my opinion is superior to the current models Penn Senators.

Dom