Penn senator 113h with new drags but still 13# drag max

Started by steelfish, June 27, 2017, 04:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on July 08, 2017, 02:01:47 PM
I occasionaly will have to put a thin keyed washer (.020" or .035") on the bottom of the stack then CF, keyed, CF, eared and on.  This will make room so the ears on the bottom eared washer do not bottom out in the groves in the gear.

pretty clever amigo Lee, this is a really good tip

Im outta town today but I will check this reel again tomorrow or Monday at the most
The Baja Guy

RowdyW

It seems to me that a metal keyed washer on the bottom would be grinding metal into metal in
the main gear whenever the drag slips. It seems to me you should put a thicker first CF or double up on the first CF.                    Rudy

Keta

Quote from: RowdyW on July 08, 2017, 06:35:39 PM
It seems to me that a metal keyed washer on the bottom would be grinding metal into metal in
the main gear whenever the drag slips. It seems to me you should put a thicker first CF or double up on the first CF.                    Rudy

I ment eared w/ears ground off.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Lee, sounds like a solution, 'cept don't the ground-ear-washer still grind on the bottom a the main gear?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

Yup, metal to metal & it will still be a grinder. You need a piece of CF between all metal till you reach the top of the stack.

steelfish

Quote from: Rothmar2 on July 08, 2017, 07:03:33 AM
Yoh need to swap the 2nd keyed washer (from the base of gear) with the first of the eared washers.
Swap to KEKE, then whatever you have on top and see how you go
Make sure there is a CF washer between each metal.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 08, 2017, 07:14:18 AM
Put a carbon fiber in the bottom of the gear, Then a metal washer with no ears on it.
Then another carbon fiber and an eared metal washer with the tabs on it, then alternate this sequence.
You have your two metal eared washers on top of the stack. This is the issue. The bottom is just spinning.
Hence, your lack of drag.

Quote from: alantani on July 08, 2017, 01:14:20 PM
yeah,  the metal washers are out of sequence.  go keyed, slotted, keyed, slotted, keyed, belleville. 

well, thanks guys, this was the ticket, the only thing I did different than the 1st time was to put the thick keyed washer (from the old stock drag stack) just after the 1st CF washer to avoid having the Eared washer to hit the end of slot on the main gear, seems that worked really good, dang.. I still have a lot to learn about reels  ;D ;D
now without much effort just tightening with my hands I could now reach 21# and pretty sure I will be able to lock the drags if I want to, also now the star turns really smooth/soft while tighten the drag, nothing compared to the numbers I was getting few days ago.
note to myselft : the key is to use the correct configuration and be sure to avoid to hit the bottom of the slots on the main gear
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Quote from: steelfish on July 11, 2017, 04:59:18 PM

well, thanks guys, this was the ticket, the only thing I did different than the 1st time was to put the thick keyed washer (from the old stock drag stack) just after the 1st CF washer to avoid having the Eared washer to hit the end of slot on the main gear, seems that worked really good, dang.. I still have a lot to learn about reels  ;D ;D
[/quote]

Yeah, me too. We learn something every day.
You must have a different brass main  gear, on mine the slots stop at 3mm from the bottom.
When I place the first 3 washer from  the 5 stack kit (2- CF+ 1- K), I'm well above the slot.
When I measure those 3 washers I get 3.5mm.
I'm glad you got yours to work compadre, Just wondering why yours is different.

Sal
I just realized I cut my own washers for the 113H's, your washers from the kit  might be thinner, that would explain it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 11, 2017, 05:22:21 PM

Yeah, me too. We learn something every day.
You must have a different brass main  gear, on mine the slots stop at 3mm from the bottom.
When I place the first 3 washer from  the 5 stack kit (2- CF+ 1- K), I'm well above the slot.
When I measure those 3 washers I get 3.5mm.
I'm glad you got yours to work compadre, Just wondering why yours is different.

Sal
I just realized I cut my own washers for the 113H's, your washers from the kit  might be thinner, that would explain it.

well my brass main gear might be similar to yours but I skipped to check drag using only the HT-100 kit, too many times taking in out and in, so I just used the thick metal washer and called a day when got the 21#

PS: now that you mention the thickness of the washers are thinner that some early one I got, some of the early ones I got are thicker, they have a thicker fiber in the middle
The Baja Guy

Army_of_One

It's weird that you had the old three stack, but in a brass gear/non side accessible reel.  I have had to use the thick keyed washer as the first one for the steel gears in a couple of my setups.  I'm glad you got it figured out.

ETA: I believe it was Keith who suggested using a delrin washer under the star to help with tightening it.  You might want to give it a try.
Another day in Paradise!