Sears Gamefisher 200 (Daiwa) baitcaster reel

Started by Decker, June 27, 2017, 05:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 30, 2017, 04:36:27 PM
looks like s Daiwa.  I'm trying to locate a similar reel.  While looking, I found something interesting...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-Fishing-Reel-OCEAN-STAR-500-from-Japan-Free-shipping-/112456867917?hash=item1a2ef3a04d:g:GsAAAOSw9~5ZUKK

Very cool!  That reel has a very similar handle, with the same knob.  Price is very reasonable, shipped from Japan.   Looks like the eccentric lever is on backwards.  I think these reels have a lot of stainless in them.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Decker on June 30, 2017, 04:45:27 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on June 30, 2017, 04:36:27 PM
looks like s Daiwa.  I'm trying to locate a similar reel.  While looking, I found something interesting...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-Fishing-Reel-OCEAN-STAR-500-from-Japan-Free-shipping-/112456867917?hash=item1a2ef3a04d:g:GsAAAOSw9~5ZUKK

Very cool!  That reel has a very similar handle, with the same knob.  Price is very reasonable, shipped from Japan.   Looks like the eccentric lever is on backwards.  I think these reels have a lot of stainless in them.

This is an under-rod conventional reel, mounted much like a spinning reel.  This is the first that I have seen that is old.  I guess it's not a new concept. 

And yes, the handle looks familiar.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Decker

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 30, 2017, 07:31:53 PM
This is an under-rod conventional reel, mounted much like a spinning reel.  This is the first that I have seen that is old.  I guess it's not a new concept. 

Very interesting, and makes sense looking back at it.  How did you identify it as being "under-rod?"     Here is another old Daiwa conventional:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAIWA-DYNAMIC-SEIKO-ST-50-BAITCASTING-REEL-/182637556234?hash=item2a860bf20a:g:uSQAAOSwVJhZSKIh

Bryan Young

The location of the worm shaft.  I have never seen one with the worm drive shaft controls the line level from above the line guide.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

natch!

An under rod conventional? How is the spool controlled? Is that what the second sort of flat lever near the reel stand is for?

Jack

Decker

I still have this reel, and am convinced it is a Daiwa.  It is built like a tank with a lot of stainless.   I'm really not sure what to do with it, and am against owning a shelfie.  Questions:

• What is this reel good for?  Seems a bit too slow (2.5:1) for Jersey bottom fishing, but might make a good bridge winch.  I imagine with enough drag it could be a decent grouper reel, but there are none in my neck of the woods.
  • Does anyone know if there are any possible gear swaps with another Daiwa conventional to increase the retrieve?
  • Anyone know where to get a schematic for this reel?

handi2

Its definitely a Daiwa. Ill post a picture in a few.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Here's a Daiwa direct drive reel I have.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Decker

These Daiwa reels are capturing my imagination lately.  I read in another thread about Daron's and Porthos' collections of Sealines.  They come up too cheap on auction to resist.  The Sears Gamefisher conventional reels are definitely Daiwas, so I'm keeping an eye out for those too.  Just bought one one with a spiral level-line bar like a Penn 350.  I'll post it later.

This Gamefisher 200 is very comparable in size to the 112H 3/0.  It has a 2.5:1 retrieve, compared with the 4:1 of the 113H.  Here they are side by side; the Gamefisher is just a smidge more narrow.  It provokes the question: who will be the first to put together a Penn/Daiwa franken-reel - HA HA HA [maniacal laughter ;D :o ???]