Ambassadeur 5500c cast control adjustment problem

Started by wfjord, June 29, 2017, 02:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfjord

I'm in the process of overhauling and upgrading the drags on my old black 5500c (1982), which I haven't used in many years and want to get into top fishing shape. Did some backyard casting with it first to see what it would do and the first thing I noticed was the cast control knob had zero adjustment range --either to much tension or none at all. Only things in that knob housing are the bearings, retaining clip, and the two square copper shims --just as the schematic shows. I tried putting a felt washer between the retaining clip and shims to no effect.

Any recommendations on improving the adjustability of the cast control function?

fishhawk

Bearings should not be in cap, if they are, bearing retainer must have got lost, or am I reading this wrong?

wfjord

The bearings are not in the cap, they're in the little housing the cap screws on to. The retainer is in place.  Everything is where is should be, but there's little to no noticeable adjustment range of the amount of tension on the end of spool shaft.

thorhammer

hm.  maybe a spring needs to be in there? just guessing will check an Abu tonight. flat side palm plate on tail end?

fishhawk

Quote from: wfjord on June 29, 2017, 07:48:51 PM
The bearings are not in the cap, they're in the little housing the cap screws on to. The retainer is in place.  Everything is where is should be, but there's little to no noticeable adjustment range of the amount of tension on the end of spool shaft.
Ok, thats good how many shims are in your cap?
Mark

wfjord

There are two shims in the cap.

The left side palm plate is not flat. The reel did not come with a cast control spring. This 5500C looks closer to a schematic I have of a 5500CA than that of a 5500C, although mine is labeled a C on the reel and the box.

fishhawk

Take one shim out. Schematics are the same. A 5500 is a high speed 5000, the C is for bearings. Somehow your spool is not centered. Lots of times you can loosen all side plate screws and retighten them in alternating patterns.
Mark

wfjord

I removed a shim. That reduced any connection to the spool shaft to zero. I've tried loosening and retightening the screws but it hasn't had any effect so far.

oc1

When the cast control knob is tightened do you hear something rubbing?  If the spool is only contacting the shims there will be no sound.  Are the shims dimpled.?  If so they can be turned upside down.
-steve

wfjord

There's no sound of rubbing. The reel is quiet and smooth. There's a slight dimple in one of the shims and I did turn it over. With only one shim, the spool is in total free-spool with the clutch button pressed down. With two shims it's marginally better, but not enough to provide any decent cast control.  (I was wrong in my original post when I said there was "either too much tension or none at all" ---there's not enough tension with the knob tightened down all the way).

thorhammer

like the bearing puller. gotta make one, I have a bunch of old Abus. my favorite.

Fish-aholic

Quote from: wfjord on June 30, 2017, 12:20:01 PM
There's no sound of rubbing. The reel is quiet and smooth. There's a slight dimple in one of the shims and I did turn it over. With only one shim, the spool is in total free-spool with the clutch button pressed down. With two shims it's marginally better, but not enough to provide any decent cast control.  (I was wrong in my original post when I said there was "either too much tension or none at all" ---there's not enough tension with the knob tightened down all the way).

Tension knob needs shimming. If you haven't got spare brass shims, you can make some out of aluminium drink can as long as the spool axle nestles against a brass shim. ;) 

wfjord

Quote from: fishhawk on June 30, 2017, 01:15:10 PM
Ad more shims?

I think that'll probably be the best move.

Quote from: thorhammer on June 30, 2017, 01:31:47 PM
like the bearing puller. gotta make one, I have a bunch of old Abus. my favorite.

Made it from a coat hanger and it works great. I got the basic idea for that after seeing a photo of one that Alan Tani made (thanks Alan!).
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0

Quote from: Fish-aholic on June 30, 2017, 04:00:42 PM
Tension knob needs shimming. If you haven't got spare brass shims, you can make some out of aluminium drink can as long as the spool axle nestles against a brass shim. ;)  

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that out if I don't find some brass ones relatively soon.

wfjord

I cut a shim out of a piece of medium hard plastic (formerly a guitar pick) that was about equal thickness to two metal shims and placed it in the cap with the two metal shims on top of it. That did the job, plus some. There's now a far greater amount of adjustment range with the cast control knob and an overall much better feel to it.

Fully cleaned, lubed & greased w/ new drags. The best shape this 5500C has ever been in.

Thanks to you guys for your thoughts on this.