Penn 109 - New(ish) v Old

Started by sundancer, June 30, 2017, 12:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundancer

Gents

Just been lurking recently since all the help that you guys have provided as I built up my Gear..

Question on the 109 'value'..  I was re-spooling up a newish (metal spool) 109 and spooling up an old (but in almost NOS Condition) 109.  The Olde has a plastic Spool and a different Clicker Knob. 

What is your opinion on either using the Olde one or just putting it on a shelf?  I don't have to use the Olde one..

Thanks
Steve
Miles to go.....,

sdlehr

109's aren't scarce, so there likely won't be strong opinions either way.... If you don't need to fish two, put the older one on a shelf if you want. If you're using mono you won't want to use the plastic spool anyway.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sundancer

Sid

I am inclined to 'put it on the shelf'..  that is why I ask.. 

As to the Mono v Plastic Spool - I have read the arguments and have used all combinations - all without incident..

I have a couple of 27's (one rebuilt by AKFISH) that are workhorses and arguably stronger than the 109. 

I think I will take your advise - it is just to shiny to use..  (have a few 500's that I will never use for the same reason)..

Thanks for the input
Steve
Miles to go.....,

akfish

The last 109s came with aluminum spools. These are the reels you want to fish. Even the second spools -- the metal ones -- can have problems with mono.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

sundancer

AK....

The Old one I have has a plastic Spool..  And the Clicker Knob is different.  So I am assuming it is really old..  This is why I am asking.  Might it be just old enough for shelf life and not fishing??

I love your 27, but I like the 9/109 Levelwind.

Steve
Miles to go.....,

akfish

Someone will know this better than me: I believe the oldest 109s were black and had the spare pawl on the handle side. Those might be collectable, but they made so many of them that only a truly mint example would have much collectable value.

And I'm glad you like the 27. I hope it's caught a few fish...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska