Finished Up 9 reels Saturday and Sunday Afternoon

Started by foakes, August 15, 2017, 12:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Been knocking out the backlog of reel restorations, service, and repair -- got a little further behind than I am comfortable with.

This was due to the 95 trees I needed to drop and get rid of.  Beetle killed Ponderosa Pines up to 160' tall -- and many likely more than 200 years old -- a few over 4' at the base.  We will end up losing about 3 years of effort to this project -- but it needed to get done.  

So far, bark beetle killed Ponderosas and Sugarpines in the Sierra Nevada Range are estimated at 102,000,000 trees -- and it is not over.

Anyway, got another year to go -- but we have a handle on things for cleanup, fire-safety, personal and structure protection.

Had a chance to start working on the reels over the weekend -- completed a DAM Quick 110, 220, 221, and a large 550.

Then tackled a Pacifica 5001, Daiwa 4000C, Pflueger Medalist 1495 1/2, Mitchell 304, and a Penn 720.

All turned out complete and well -- will continue through the rest of the week with the backlog.  At this rate, should be caught up in 2 weeks.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Fred, you get any of that high heat that was out west a few days ago?  Have a relative in Portland & it was well over 100 degrees.

I lived in AZ as a boy; loved Ponderosa pines; remembered they smell like vanilla.

Those reels look great.

bhale1

Fred,
Your work effort amazes me.....it's go, go go...... keep up the good work sir!
Brett

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Most property owners living in forested areas I've knowen, pay someone else to remove trees, with mostly bad results. They oftentimes leave too much slash behind and do a poor slopy "hurry-up" job in general. Good thing to DYI.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tiddlerbasher

Shark Hunter

I think that is an understatement.
The Man is a Machine.
I work sixty hour weeks, but the problem is the shift is never the same.
11am to 11pm, 3pm to 3am, 7am to 11pm, then back at 3.
I will have 30 years in at this job this month and I still can't hold day shift.
By weeks end, I am done.
I mow the grass, try to work on reels and its time to go back to work.
Some day, I will be half as good as Fred. ;)
Life is Good!

foakes

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 15, 2017, 09:32:20 AM
I work sixty hour weeks, but the problem is the shift is never the same.
11am to 11pm, 3pm to 3am, 7am to 11pm, then back at 3.
I will have 30 years in at this job this month and I still can't hold day shift.

You know the old saying, Daron --

"If you want to get something done -- ask a busy person".

They are busy because they want to be -- and they can be counted on to accomplish the mission.

They are capable, honest, adaptable, and always thinking about better ways to get things done -- plus not afraid of a challenge, or hard work.

That is why I asked you to partner on the Reels of Ohana, Calendar project -- I knew it would be capably addressed, worked through, and completed.

A professional's yardstick consists of mainly modest, quiet, reliable, and routine results -- consistently...

An amateur's yardstick consists of a lot of words...

I think reliability and busyness go hand-in-hand for two reasons. First, those who are successfully juggling a lot have good systems for avoiding dropping balls. They intuitively think like project managers. How long will the proposed task take? What steps are involved? When would each step need to be completed by, and what problems might arise that would preclude meeting those deadlines? They keep looking ahead to see what's on deck. Then they build in enough margin so that when things come up, as they inevitably do, they stay on track.

That is why you work 60 hours a week -- and have been a valued asset to your company for 30 years.

Thanks for all you -- and many other folks on our site -- do every day to help others...Alan has set a high bar for all of us to try and reach.

This is an amazing place to be involved in...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

STRIPER LOU