Problem with free spool Ambassador 7000i

Started by Olddiverman, July 10, 2017, 04:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olddiverman

Hi all,

I need some help. I decided to learn to clean and service my own reels now that I have retired, and have done pretty well with, of course, guidance from the web. I have stripped, cleaned and lubed a Mitchell 325, Mitchell 387, which are relatively simple reels and then I bought on Gumtree a beat up Ambassadeur Seven for £10 which I intended to practice on before tackling my Ambassadeur 7000i. All went well, so I stripped and rebuilt it half a dozen times then started on my 7000i. All seemed ok. I was very methodical and tidy all seemed well but after re-assembly I have a problem with the free spool release. If I pull the lever back to operate the free spool it clicks into place and will click back off again ok but the problem stars when I turn the handle, which should immediately knock off the free spool, it doesn't always click straight of, the handle seems to slip round a bit in a jerky way before clicking off the far spool. I cannot for the life of me see any thing wrong.
I am hoping that someone here can offer me some guidance.

Marcq

Quote from: Olddiverman on July 10, 2017, 04:17:04 PM
Hi all,

I need some help. I decided to learn to clean and service my own reels now that I have retired, and have done pretty well with, of course, guidance from the web. I have stripped, cleaned and lubed a Mitchell 325, Mitchell 387, which are relatively simple reels and then I bought on Gumtree a beat up Ambassadeur Seven for £10 which I intended to practice on before tackling my Ambassadeur 7000i. All went well, so I stripped and rebuilt it half a dozen times then started on my 7000i. All seemed ok. I was very methodical and tidy all seemed well but after re-assembly I have a problem with the free spool release. If I pull the lever back to operate the free spool it clicks into place and will click back off again ok but the problem stars when I turn the handle, which should immediately knock off the free spool, it doesn't always click straight of, the handle seems to slip round a bit in a jerky way before clicking off the far spool. I cannot for the life of me see any thing wrong.
I am hoping that someone here can offer me some guidance.

Welcome!! Check this thread

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/413523-abu-7000i/

Marc..

Olddiverman

Thank you for your response Marc, it was interesting reading but, unfortunately doesn't help me. The picture of the brake plate is the same as mine, although the AR dog isn't shown. And looking at mine everything appears to be exactly where it should be. Very baffling.