What line classes would you classify for the Senator lineup?

Started by 1badf350, July 13, 2017, 04:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

So here I am at work, not thinking about work. Instead, I'm pondering what the most appropriate line class rods would be paired with each Senator from 1/0 to 16/0. What says the Tani family?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

RowdyW

That is open to too many combinations for each reel. With all those reels it would take a book to list it all. For line you have wire, lead line, dacron, nylon, polymer, braid etc. Then it also has to do with the type, length, weight, flex of the rod etc. You also have to figure in what lure, bait (artificial,live,dead,spoon,jig), etc. Next are you going to troll, cast, deep drop, jig, drift, etc. Pick out one reel & rod & list what you are going to do with it. And even that is not going to give you all the options that you can use. You are asking a question that can never have an end to suggestions that can be used. There is no miracle reel,rod,line,bait, or fishing style that is a sure thing other then putting the fish in a barrel & getting a gun. Even then there will be some misses.  ;D ;D

sdlehr

Quote from: RowdyW on July 13, 2017, 07:57:02 PM
That is open to too many combinations for each reel. With all those reels it would take a book to list it all. For line you have wire, lead line, dacron, nylon, polymer, braid etc. Then it also has to do with the type, length, weight, flex of the rod etc. You also have to figure in what lure, bait (artificial,live,dead,spoon,jig), etc. Next are you going to troll, cast, deep drop, jig, drift, etc. Pick out one reel & rod & list what you are going to do with it. And even that is not going to give you all the options that you can use. You are asking a question that can never have an end to suggestions that can be used. There is no miracle reel,rod,line,bait, or fishing style that is a sure thing other then putting the fish in a barrel & getting a gun. Even then there will be some misses.  ;D ;D
That'll teach you to not think about work when the clock is running!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

Loosely, VERY loosely, the designations may be used to approximate line class and go up or down a class either way. Now, I wouldn't use 10lb test on a 1/0, but you might say, assuming a standard line (not wire, lead core, etc.), 20/30 on 1/0, 2/0; 30/40 3/0; 30-50 4/0, and so on. Then there are Wide versions, where the strength of drive train may be strong enough to support bumping up a bit and you have increased capacity for yardage. For instance, I spool my HLW's heavy: 114HLW gets 80lb, etc.

1badf350

LOL, Ok to narrow down the variables, lets say we are using standard monofilament and we are working with fiberglass IGFA class trolling rods. For arguments sake, you have the following rods and are deciding on reels
IGFA 12lb
IGFA 20lb
IGFA 30lb
IGFA 50lb
What size original senator would you generally associate with those rods?

Relative humidity, barometric pressure, moon phase, tide cycle, wind direction, sun angle, water depth, salinity and PH are factors that shall not be considered for the purpose of this excersize.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

oc1

The senators were originally designed for cuttyhunk linen.  You could use any size line you want, but some common choices were.
16/0 - 54 thread line
12/0 - 36 thread line
9/0 - 24 thread line
6/0 - 18 thread line
4/0 - 15 thread line
Nylon and dacron changed everything because line of a given test became smaller.  Then, spectra changed everything again.  Some consider the 12/0 to 16/0 sizes obsolete now because you can put all the spectra you would ever need on a smaller reel. 
-steve

fishgrain

1/0 and 2/0 => under
3/0 => 5-8 lbs drag 15-25#
4/0 => 6-12 lbs 20-30#
6/0 =>9-15 lbs 30-40#
9/0 =>12-18 lbs 50#
10/0 and 12/0 => 15-25 lbs 50-80#
14/0 20-30 lbs 80#
16/0 => 30 lbs plus 130#

my take, as a starting point.

or i guess could just get a talica or something that does 60 lbs plus but can also fling a sardine into the wind to replace them all LOLOL thanks

jay grob

thorhammer

Quote from: 1badf350 on July 14, 2017, 05:35:19 AM
LOL, Ok to narrow down the variables, lets say we are using standard monofilament and we are working with fiberglass IGFA class trolling rods. For arguments sake, you have the following rods and are deciding on reels
IGFA 12lb 1,2,3/0. They are same reel, different width in the black series. The red "H" 3/0 is faster and narrower than black 3/0.
IGFA 20lb 3-4 / 0
IGFA 30lb 4-6/0
IGFA 50lb 4-9/0
What size original senator would you generally associate with those rods?

Relative humidity, barometric pressure, moon phase, tide cycle, wind direction, sun angle, water depth, salinity and PH are factors that shall not be considered for the purpose of this excersize.

foakes

Don't ask me how I know -- but a 16/0 Senator will hold 8.94 miles of 4 pound Trilene XT mono.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

With those rods I'd put 20# on the 3/0, 30# on the 4/0 and 50# on the 6/0.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!