Avet sx

Started by silverfish, May 25, 2011, 05:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverfish

Hi, I am after some info on the AVET SX 5.1 , we have 4 between us and i am finding that the Brake bearing (sx501.020) will not last very long as the reel has a sideway action on the bearing which is designed to have the pressure up and down .
I replaced them with bearings from Avet and lasted 6 months and we have used different brands witch where no better, do I go to ceramic bearings will that make a difference.
As for the fishing well they do get used all year and we do get some 5' sharks and stingrays but we don't use the drag to the max and we don't over clean the reels and i use good oil and grease it just seems to be that one bearing  ...rod
???

Bryan Young

It's a common problem, and ceramics will not help one bit.  They will last longer if the reel is used within it's limits.  Catching sharks and rays, you are probably exceeding it's design limits.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JGB

As Bryan said the left side spool and pinion bearing take the full force of the drag. The effect on the pinion bearing is lower as the bearing size is larger. The bearings are not designed to operate in this mode very well (all except the Accurates and Makiara have this issue). Ceramics will make the problem worse as they tolerate even less side loads before failure. You can check your left spool bearing by putting the reel in free spool and spinning the spool. Tilt the reel right  and if it is rumbling the bearing race is damaged. tilt it left and if also rumbles the ball are also damaged. If no rumble on tilt left then you can flip the bearing and possibly get a little more usable life.

Here  are the things that may help:

1. If you can tolerate the potential for corrosion use a carbon steel bearing on the left spool bearing (carbon steel is stronger than SS).
2. For the pinion use a high pressure grease like Yamalube Marine (the grease will form a thin layer to cushion the balls.
3. If you can tolerate loss of free spool grease the left spool bearing.
4. Not practical but possible - Bore the left spool to take a larger bearing size.
5. Partially fill your spools so you can use lower drag settings. The fuller the spool is the more drag pressure needed.
6. Typically the larger the balls and the more balls will increase the side load durability.

Jim N.

silverfish

Thanks for your reply ..I was just seeing if some one found a way of fixing them to last longer  the reels are great but we have been using the tekota 500 a little bit bigger but a good strong reel and stands up to a good  fish i think i will strip them down fit a new bearing and ebay them ,  ...rod