Saltist 50 problem (?)

Started by Beefer, May 26, 2011, 03:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefer

I have a Saltist 50 (no letters that I can find on the box), and I think there is a problem with it, but it may be it's just the way it is. It's new to me, but I got it used.

When there is almost any amount of pressure on the line, the handle 'slips'. I can crank the handle, but the spool doesn't turn unless I add more drag. I took it apart last night, and everything looks ok, but I'm no pro. The inside was really clean, and well greased, and looks like it was taken care of, but it just doesn't seem like it's working right. I haven't changed the drag washers, they look great, but I plan on changing them with the smoooth drags if I can figure out with drag set I need.

Does this sound like a drag washer problem, or should I be looking at something else?

Bryan Young

When you say that the handle slips, does that mean the the handle turns backwards?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Beefer

No. When turning the handle reeling in, and there is resistance of any kind, the spool doesn't turn, even though the handle will. Hope that makes sense.  ???

CapeFish

It sounds like the drag is slipping, have you tightened the star drag?

Nessie Hunter

Alan would say:

Check for slipping Braided line also.....
Braid will slip on the spool, make sure thats not the problem first...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Beefer

I'm leaning to the drag being the problem. It's loaded with mono. I have to really crank down the drag to get the spool to turn, which doesn't seem right at all. Will (should/maybe) new drag washers fix this?

Alto Mare

It might be something else. Try this, remove the drags and rub them on a rag to get them almost dry and put them back in . See if that does anything for you.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nessie Hunter

Actually sounds like a Drag stack error/problem?? 

Make sure the Bellville washers are orientated correctly ( ) ~ and have some curve to them. 
Some go flat when kept tight for to long. 
Then there is no cushion or spring when tightening the Star.. 
(Either have Full drag or no drag then)....

Make sure Under Gear washer is in place, And all the washers etc in the stack up to handle..
Look closely at the Schematic and Alans Tutorial pics.... 

No need to figure out which Drags you need to order. 
All the Saltists from 30 to 50 have same washer set..
Email Dawn at Smoothdrags and give her the Reel make and model (Daiwa Saltist 50), she will cross ref and make sure you have the correct ones..

I have numerous sets of good used stock Saltist drag washers (from change outs).. 
If you want to try a set I will send them free to you...  PM an address......
(if I can find them??) LOL
At least you will know whether its the washers themselves that are wrong or bad?????

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Beefer

Everything looked in order when I broke down the reel the other night. The Bellville's are in correct, and looked fine, and there is 'normal' drag function, under gear washer was there as well. I'll break it down again, and dry off the drag washers, and see if that does anything.

Nessie - I pm'd you my info for the drag washers. Thanks!

Nessie Hunter

Kirk, 2 sets on the way to Fla.....
5 drag washers and 1 under washer per set..
These are stock & Used, but in like new condition....

FYI ~ Dawn should be on Vacation by now?? for a couple of weeks?? 
She posted the dates in her forum..????

Wish I could help you more.  ??
Its always the dang Last thing we check, and usually a minor issue????

WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Beefer

Thanks! I'll let everyone know how it turns out

Beefer

Well, replaced the drags last night (thanks NessieHunter!!!), and although I haven't fished it, it seems like that was the problem. It certainly made a difference.

On the bellville washers, how pronounced should the curve be? There is a curve, but it wasn't as significant as I kind of expected. When I put them flat on the table, I could see it, but it wasn't very noticeable.

Nessie Hunter

The thicker Belvilles have very little curve to them, the thinner ones are more pronounced.
So it depends on the thickness of the washer...
You might look at some of Alans & others tutorials with Pics and see if they look similar..
Doesnt take much curve to cushion the drag pressure while cranking it up....

Oh, and your very welcome..  No problem...    ;D
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!