Penn 112H Rebuild Questions

Started by Ambassadeur 10000, May 26, 2011, 08:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambassadeur 10000

I would love to rebuild 2 of my Penn 112H's with a better drag system and whatever internal improvements I could make.  The drag is especially important for me.  It seems like the drag is either locked down or it's too loose and there's no in between.  Any advice would definitely be appreciated.
Tight lines

akfish

Very clearly you need new drag washers. Get a set of HT-100s, size 006 309, grease them with Cal's Grease, and you'll be amazed smooth and adjustable your drag is. I doubt there's anything else you need to do.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

I also believe that you need new drags, the HT 100's are a good call from Akfish. If that was my reel, I would leave it at that. If you have the original handle, maybe a new longer one would be nice and a stainless steel sleeve. I wouldn't increase the drag stack, I would keep it at 1+3 configuration. When you increase the drags, you increase the pressure approximately 5 pounds per washer, that reel is not made to handle it, if not careful you could fry the gears.  1+3 greased HT 100's, don't push the reel over 8 pounds and  it will be nice and happy.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

if you get the carbontex drag kit and cal's grease, it will include the drag washer that goes underneath the main gear.  that would be first.  a stainless steel gear sleeve would be second.  a better handle grip would be third. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ambassadeur 10000

Capt. ahab

I just took apart a used 112H.  Starting at the main gear going up, it has a carbontex washer, metal washer, carbontex washer, keyed metal washer, carbontex washer, metal washer.  3 and 3.  Is this the right combination?  How can I tell if the carbontex washers need replacing?  Any other things I should do to the reel while I've got it open other than grease the metal stuff?

Capt. ahab

Also, how much benefit will a stainless steel gear sleeve get me?  Where can I get one of these?

Bryan Young

Quote from: Capt. ahab on May 31, 2011, 09:05:00 PMI just took apart a used 112H.  Starting at the main gear going up, it has a carbontex washer, metal washer, carbontex washer, keyed metal washer, carbontex washer, metal washer.  3 and 3.  Is this the right combination?  How can I tell if the carbontex washers need replacing?  Any other things I should do to the reel while I've got it open other than grease the metal stuff?

Probably the best way to tell is to grease it (with drag grease) then rub the grease off.  The carbon pattern should appear and you are good to go.  If the drags are glazed over (shiny) and after greasing, remain glazed over, it's probably time to replace them.  Glazing usually appears on non-greased carbon fiber sashers.

Quote from: Capt. ahab on May 31, 2011, 09:19:57 PMAlso, how much benefit will a stainless steel gear sleeve get me?  Where can I get one of these?

If you gear sleeve is rounded at the handle, then it needs replacing.  By replacing with stainless steel, you'd probably never have to replace the gear sleeve ever again.  Additionally, a tighter handle connection to the reel, the less play and slippage, which is not good when fighting fish.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Capt. ahab on May 31, 2011, 09:05:00 PM
I just took apart a used 112H.  Starting at the main gear going up, it has a carbontex washer, metal washer, carbontex washer, keyed metal washer, carbontex washer, metal washer.  3 and 3.  Is this the right combination?  How can I tell if the carbontex washers need replacing?  Any other things I should do to the reel while I've got it open other than grease the metal stuff?

Ditto on Bryan's reply. Here's some more:
That's the right combination. You can always replace the (#4) fiber washer with a #6-113 or a #6-60 drag washer under the gear to gain a little more drag. The 6-113 washer is a little thicker than the 6-60 and is what is used to make the 3+1 drag stack in the Jigmaster. If the Carbontex washers are worn smooth, as in no fabric weave showing, or the woven fabric is coming off in chunks, replace the washers. You should be able to clean the grease off the washers with a rag enough to see the weave.

The stainless gear sleeve is a good investment if you plan to really crank hard on the handle. Under heavy load, the brass model tends to get rounded shoulders where the handle rests. This is not good when you get a strong fighter on the other end. The s/s sleeve is available from PennParts (#98-60AT) or Alan. I don't remember if Dawn at Smoothdrag has them. If you have the fine threads on the sleeve it will be the 98-505AT. (Your drag star will have either 10-60 or 10-505 stamped in it. The gear sleeve number needs to match.) And make sure you make the handle screw (#23) tight! If it's loose at all, the gear sleeve shoulders WILL get rounded.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Capt. ahab

Thanks guys! the drag washers looked fine

alantani

check the drag and leave it if it works ok.  if you put the reel under so much pressure that you round off the gear sleeve, then we can talk about a stainless steel gear sleeve, or another reel.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!