Tips on polishing sideplates

Started by jason_purdy, August 27, 2017, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason_purdy

I've got a few reels that I've picked up recently (Daiwa Sealine 900h, Penn 4/0, Penn Monofil 26) that look like they've spent too much time in the sun. The insides are shaping up nicely but those plates look washed out.  Are there any helpful hints for polishing these up? I'm not looking for a factory shine-just trying to breathe a little new life into them. Cheers all!

-Jason

STRIPER LOU

Simichrome polish, a soft microfiber cloth, and a whole lot of elbow grease does a nice job. If they're really bad you can start off with Never Dull by Eagle one and finish off with Simichrome.

I've also used various grades of Automotive rubbing compound with good results and have even tried wet or dry up to 2500 grit. Let us know how you make out.

Regard's,  ..  Lou

PS a lot of the guys here have been using Never Dull for years and that's their go too. I always like to finish off a customers reel with a good coat of wax on the side plates.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21302.0

Shark Hunter

Jason,
I've never polished a plate.
No matter how sun faded they may be.
After servicing, just a wipe down with the penn blue grease from the service, shines them right up. JMO
Life is Good!

sdlehr

My experience is about the same as Daron's, except for one brown speckled plate I had to put Armor-All on to get the color right. Grease might've worked on that one, too. Bakelite is pretty stable stuff.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

I'm going to try simachrome. What I've been doing, because its in the cabinet, is terry cloth or dremel buff with headlight lens restorer then Back-to-black (for bumpers). does pretty well depending on how much time you put in.

foakes

I use Simichrome for my headlights --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

We have discussed how bakelite can absorb moisture over time, swell and crack rings.  I wonder if keeping the bakelite greased would help or exacerbate that problem.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

Steve, specifically with Bakelite, you may have raised an issue worthy of a longer look. First - is it actually bakelite - I've found rubbing it with different types of metal polish, if the polish turns yellow fairly quickly good chance it's Bakelite, otherwise probably 'plastic' whatever that means! However, metal polish works pretty well on a lot of plastics. Practice on a bit that won't show ;)

day0ne

None of the above applies to the 900H. It has cast aluminum sideplates and that flat washed out grey is how black anodizing looks on cast aluminum. The only way to get them shiny is to powdercoat them black.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

jason_purdy

Tons of helpful info guys-thanks so much! I've got some Simichrome, and I'll try a side by side with some reel grease for my own curiosity. David, thanks for the heads up on 900H. It probably saved me some time/elbow grease. Cheers all.

-Jason

thorhammer

pics dude. like to see what you get, not because we didn't believe happened...lol