penn 113 options

Started by Nova, May 29, 2011, 06:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nova

Hi i am new to the site and have been going over the forums for about a week now.

I recently picked up a Penn 113 (black side plates with frame) and plan on taking it apart to clean/lube and upgrade.

From what i can tell my only real upgrades for this older style is the stainless sleeve and ht-100 drags.

I am interested in any other upgrades that can be done to max it out. I am not expecting it to do things it can't, i just want to rebuild it as strong as i can get away with.

I tried attaching a pic of what my reel looks like, hopefully it worked.

http://pakistanangler.com/tackleshop/images/custom/Penn113.jpg

Alto Mare

Hello and welcome aboard.
Is the picture from the actual reel? If so you probably already have carbon washers in it, that is a newer model reel and looks like it already has a nice power handle with the soft grip. The only problem with those reels, they attract more salt than the earlier models, but, with Alan's treatment and proper meintenance you should be ok. I would just change the gear sleeve on this one.
If the picture is not from the actual reel and you do have the older model, I would then replace the washers with HT100's, also the one under the main gear, but I would keep it at 1+3 stack configuration, I would not add additional washers, they would create problems. A nicer handle with a larger knob and a stainless steel gear sleeve from Alan would be a nice upgrade, but that's about it. Fish the reel around 8 to 10 pounds and it will be your friend for a long time. Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nova

My reel is a used version of the same reel in the pic. I need to replace my handle cause it has a slight bend to it. I bought the reel used on ebay a while back and just got around to messing with it this week.

I plan on pulling it apart and seeing what the guts look like. It feels really smooth, other then the handle being bent and some very minor pitting on one of the frame bars it seems to be in good shape.

Looks like i will need to order a stainless sleeve, drag kit, and new handle this week!

Thanks for you help Alto Mare

Alto Mare

Not a problem, I'm glad to help or trying to ;D. About that handle, if it's not bent too bad you could bend it back in shape, I've done it before, but make sure that you remove it first. I have a wood vise that I use, you could use anything , just try to protect the finish with anything that will work. If it is easier for you to just buy a new one, go for it. Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.