A quick look at an ABU Record 2200

Started by oc1, July 27, 2017, 11:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

This photo is from a Fathers Day thread.

I hate getting reel boxes, cases and paperwork.  They deteriorate quickly in our climate and become a liability.  But, sometimes you have to take the extra stuff to get the reel.

This Record 2200 was made about 1952 or 1954.  It was old technology when the reel was new.
The more popular Record 2100 was being made at the same time with modern features like a clutch that engages when the handle is turned, and a centrifugal casting brake.

There is quite a bit of chromium in the plating.

The earlier Record 2100's had jeweled end caps

The clutch lever depresses a flat spring yoke that, in turn, pushes the pinion down and disengages it from the main.  It is simple but works well.  Sorry, I started putting grease on the gears before taking a photo.

Under the tail plate is a clicker and a friction cast control brake.  The clicker ratchet fell off at some point in the reel's life and dug into the tail plate exposing raw brass.  The ratchet was pushed back on but it is still loose.  The brake pad is worn down to the metal and has started scoring the spool.  I don't know if the pads can be replaced.  I glued in a few magnets to make it usable for a clutz.  

The spool is magnesium.  Yeah, I know.... I'm not responsible enough to have a magnesium spool.  Interesting that the spool flanges are straight up and down. There is no chance of the line getting under the spool.  The cork arbor was too small and was deformed.  It was out of round by about 45 thousandths.  Monofilament line was just becoming popular when this reel was made.  Monofilament line and cork arbors do not do well together.

I made a larger cork arbor and spooled 120 yards of 20# spectra.

It took forever to catch anything with it then there were two nice ones from the same spot.  The first was a 26 inch fork length female and the reel handled I easily.

The second was 23 inch.  I messed up and bought the fish in when too green.  It ran straight under the canoe and busted my favorite pole on the gunwale.

This particular 2200 does not cast very well.  It gets less distance that a Shakespeare 1740 that is twenty years older.  I think the 2200 spool bushings are too worn because sometimes there is a high pitched rattle when casting.  Also, the Record 2200 is larger diameter and does not palm as well as the 1740.  I greased the magnesium spool and put it back in the case.
-steve

wailua boy

Very interesting reel and thanks for posting. Nice bone by the way, do you troll or cast from your OC1?

oc1

I drift and cast.  Some sight casting but mostly blind casting at likely spots.  Trolling wouldn't work.
-steve

bhale1

Steve,
You always amazed me with these great old reels...put on your cane rods!! Even more impressed that you always post pics of your catch....even if it breaks the rod....way to go!!!ยก
Brett

Midway Tommy

Didn't I see something about the resemblance of Antiques Road Show just the other day?  ;)

Nice little caster, Steve. I think they started making the 2200 Expert Model A in about 1945.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

I love that show.  I'm older than this reel and we prefer to be vintage rather than antique  :)

The seller seemed to have the date pinned down on the reel through ABU literature.  The earlier ones had jeweled end caps.  Perhaps jewels and knurling and such were falling out of fashion while the cleaner lines and high chrome of the 1950's were beginning to take hold.

I'm having to come to grips with the fragility of non-anodized aluminum spool flanges.  They can be coated in grease and the reel washed and oiled after use, but in a couple of weeks there will be corrosion blisters under the line from the salt.  Removing the line after every use is way too much fiddling.  I'm worried about what is going on under the arbor too.  The magnesium used in this reel is reported to be even worse than aluminum.

-steve

sdlehr

Steve, if you want to send it to me I could try brush-plating the spool with chromium. That puts on a pretty thin layer, thinner than routine plating. It still might work well for the spool, the question would be if Mg will be kind to chrome plating on top. I'd be willing to give it a try if you want to cover shipping.
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

wailua boy

Quote from: oc1 on July 28, 2017, 10:28:05 AM
I drift and cast.  Some sight casting but mostly blind casting at likely spots.  Trolling wouldn't work.
-steve

Drifting is kind of what I meant by trolling, granted a very slow troll. lol. I was paddling a few days ago and did see a few very large white uluas attacking a big school of oio, quite a sight.

oc1

Thank you very much Sid.  I might do that.  One of my two 1744 spools has eaten through and may be too far gone.  Also, I found out the 1744 side plates are make of something similar to Pflueger Nickalum which is a nickel/aluminum alloy.  

I may be necessary to put down a layer of copper plating before the chrome can adhere to aluminum, but I'm still reading about that.

Solid german silver or nickel plated brass is heavy, but may be better for a harsh environment.

Wailua, you need to fish in front of yourself on the drift.  As the boat passes you spook the fish from a hundred foot swath behind you
-steve

mhc

Have you considered a clear protective finish for the spools? Something like the 'Shark Hyde' that Pompano Joe used on the Daiwa 'Rock Cod Special' in this post http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22338.0

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mhc

A smaller container would be good for a trial - 1 quart would do a lot of spools, but $60 is a bit steep if it doesn't do what you want. I wonder if they sell 1 - 2 oz sample pots  :)
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.