12vsx drag cover

Started by Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B, July 29, 2017, 04:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

While doing a pre use service on my "custom" vsx and with my not so perfect hands anymore I had a tough time unscrewing the drag cover and still having a tough time. Fortunately found what the culprit is; it was screwed improperly. Hopefully the photos will come out good enough so you can see it...

can you see the gap between the outside spool lip and cover?

please don't take this as an overall reflection of penn. i would attribute this to !@#$ happens!  ;D :D ;) :)

mizmo67

There is the occasional assembly line error.
Was the cap striped out by going caddywumpus?
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

just came back from my local tackle shop and the three of us tried to unscrew it and no dice. one was holding the spool with both hands. the other guy was the one trying to unscrew it and me pulling and holding the cover locking pin. for something that's supposedly a "custom work" i expected a better job from whoever worked on this particular reel... >:(

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: mizmo67 on July 29, 2017, 04:44:44 PM
Was the cap striped out by going caddywumpus?

really don't know!!!

mizmo67

Since it's cross-threaded, I think it might have to go into a vise with padding to keep the spool from damaging, then try to remove the cover with a large adjustable wrench.

I haven't encountered this one yet... maybe one of the others have and might have a tip on removal.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

or send it back to penn...

Wolli

would try the following. Lift the lock plate and block with a toothpick. With a plastic or rubber hammer and light strokes hammer the drag cover back in the threads.

Good Luck

Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

conchydong

I'd send it back. I am not sure but Penn may have sent the reel out to a subcontractor for customization although that shouldn't have anything to do with the drag cover.  Regardless, Penn should take care of it and I am sure they will.

Rothmar2

Recently had a similar problem with the VISW 80 that I worked on earlier this year, only the cap wasn't bulged out like seen here, it had been done up far too tight from the factory! As this reel was being sent out for test purposes, and I was checking the over-all pre-servicing (quite good I might add, but still a few bits and pieces that could have been done a bit better), I did not force it too much. I ended up leaving it, as the reel was being sent back to Purefishing Aus after the test period, and I didn't want to cause any permanent damage if I slipped up. If wannabeMoneybucket wasn't holding my pictures for ransom, I would have posted a thread about the new VISW's by now.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

I  am sure penn will take care of it but the point is this should have not happened in the first place because as mentioned before it is supposedly a "custom made reel" not to mention the almost $200 dollar on top of the regular price i paid. Am I making sense here or is it just me?

Penn

Mel,

You are correct, this should have not have happened and should not have left our building like that.  If you are able to remove it I will send you a new cover out immediately.  If not email me your Address and we will email you a prepaid UPS label so you have no shipping charges returning the reel to us.  If you prefer to work on it yourself I would recommend using the wrench that came with the reel, hold it down tight over the cover and tap with a mallet in the unscrew direction.  Could you also provide me with a serial #?  Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.  

tony

sdlehr

Mel, I would do the shipping label and let Tony and Penn and their QC team inspect it and use it for instructional (or whatever) purposes. That way you get what you want and everyone gets to make as good a situation out of this bad situation as they can, and maybe someone on the assembly line learns a better way to do something.

Just my 2 cents.
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Penn on July 31, 2017, 02:19:21 PM
If not email me your Address and we will email you a prepaid UPS label so you have no shipping charges returning the reel to us.
if i go this route will i receive it back on or before the 8th of august? reason is cal sheets will convert it to a 1.8:1 ratio and maybe he will not have time to do that because i have to have it back before my august 19 trip....

thanks!

btw will email you my address before i get banned from this site... ;D :D ;) :)