Penn 320 gti1--320gti2

Started by Westcoasterjim, May 29, 2011, 07:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westcoasterjim

This is my first post AND experience with Penn 320 reels.  My question is they make a gti-1 & gti-2. There seems to be only about a $10.00 diff.  What is the difference and is it worth it.  I plan on using the 320 for freshwater or brackish water fishing--SFbay area.

Your input is appreciated, Jim

Roger

I've never heard of or seen a 320 GTi-1. The 320 GTi-2 is a Chinese made reel while the older 320 GTi was American made, now there is a 321 GTi that is a left handed reel.
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

akfish

There are no substantive differences between the 320 GTi and the 320 GT2 -- all gears, bearings, drags, etc. are identical. They did have slightly different frames, with the GT2 being a bit flashier, but nothing more. As stated above the GT2 is made in China while the original GTi's were made in the US. However, some of the last GTi's were also made in China.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Westcoasterjim

Thanks guys!  I ordered a 321 for my wife and 2 websites listed a gti-1 and the gti-2  where other  sites just listed a gti.  I hope I get a new old stock USA made reel!  regardless the reel should work great for us.   fishing guys near me, Sacramento area, say they're good and have a nice drag. I did try a older 320 and liked it.

Thanks again, Jim

akfish

You know the 321 is the left handed version of the 320, right?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Westcoasterjim

Quote from: akfish on May 30, 2011, 03:31:03 AM
You know the 321 is the left handed version of the 320, right?

Yes, my wife uses LH reels though she is RH.  I am LH and use RH reels.  Lets us hang on to the pole better.

Would like to take her new 321 and have it gone through with all the neat upgrades "blue printed".  Sadly, I do not know anyone in the Sacramento area that can do the work.

Jim

alantani

steve carson of penn fishing reels told me this.....

penn made so many 320 gti's that the mold for the graphite frame finally wore out.  so while they were designing a new mold, they decided to also incorporate a few upgrades and they called it a 320 gt-2.  all of the other 300 series graphite reels have also been slowly undergoing transformation.   for what you are doing, the 320 series seems a bit heavy. 

now, if i had to pick a reel for you, my choice would actually be an ambassaduer 7000 series reel.  it would require a few "ugrades," but it would be well worth the effort. 

jim, the next time you're in san jose area, you should swing by the house! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on May 30, 2011, 07:57:07 AM

jim, the next time you're in san jose area, you should swing by the house! 
The  house or the garage? ;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

reel parts are in the garage, beer's in the house. take your pick!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I will definitely stop by next time I'm in the area Alan, you're offering two of my favorite things ;D ;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.