Preparing to fish the 16/0

Started by The Great Maudu, July 31, 2017, 12:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

There you have it Folks!
The power of a Bone Stock Senator.
You see all those Video's of reels getting smoked.
Not one Serviced by the Shark Hunter!
Congratulations Mike!, Well Done. ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Yay! Mike.  Good work and good video.  I looked like great fun.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

The Great Maudu

Thank you Daron for upgrading the drag washers. I posted earlier I didn't know who built the rod but I know why they built it. That rod was created to slow down and turn big fish. The 16/0 with the 200 lbs braid was perfectly suited to the task. Initially I thought I would just fish the big rig just to see what it would be like. Now I'm thinking this is going to be my go to when big fish are the target. The weak link in the chain was the harness and fighting belt. It kept digging into my thighs to the point of a lot of pain. My legs still hurt. I've upgraded to an aftco setup that gives me more comfort and leverage. I'm not willing to risk my health or safety on inferior equipment if I can afford not to.

foakes

Great job and thanks for sharing.

This is just another example of proper preparation -- when a reel like this is set up by one of our experts on site...there are just results -- no excuses.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

The Great Maudu

I couldn't agree more Fred. We've all seen herky jerky drag pressure on a spool of line. This spool spun when it was supposed to and smoothly stopped when it was supposed to. The star turned and applied even pressure. It was the difference between a battle that lasted 90 minutes compared to one lasting 4 1/2 hours.

Swami805

Wow, good going Mike, you put the screws to that one.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

Congrats and Cool Beans Mike....a fish of a lifetime on a rig you built with a little help from Da Shark Hunter....you can be proud of the accomplishment...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

biggiesmalls

Awesome fish Mike! Big tigers are some of the best looking fish out there.

Did you get a tape on her? Or is 14 an estimate?
Either way - PHAT FISH!

The Great Maudu

No tape but I have a Florida fishing license and that gives me the right to determine size and weight, lol. If the fish would have gotten off the hook that same fish would have been reported as a 17 footer ;-) 

MarkT

I hear you. I've never lost a small fish!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Shark Hunter

Ahh, I see,
It was probably 10' based on the size of his head,
A 14 footer would be wide enough to swallow you whole.
Still very Nice. Bigger than anything I have ever caught,
I am just glad to see a reel I had on my kitchen table three weeks ago, slay a monster like that. ;)
Mike, you are officially, the Shark Slayer! ;)
Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

I stepped it off and that's how I arrived at 14'. It might have been 13' or 14' 6", but who's counting. It was a big male and they don't develop the girth as do the females. Here's my favorite pic of the beast that Julia captured as we pulled him into the surf. If you look closely you can see the tiger stripes.

coastal_dan

What an epic adventure!  Some amazing photos you posted as well, I love the B & W of the bonita and the reel on the rail.  Thanks for sharing, can't wait to watch the video on my home PC.  Congrats all around!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

biggiesmalls

Awesome picture, Mike. Everybody needs a Julia on a fishing trip, lol.

That fish looks pretty close to 10-11'. For reference:

10'3" Tiger

14'-14'6" Tiger

That picture of the tiger is seriously one of the best shark pics I  have seen, mad props to you for catching that BEAST of a fish!

Shark Hunter

I am just kidding you Mike,
I take nothing away from your epic Catch.
What a Monster! :o
Life is Good!