Pls recommend a low profile baitcasting reel for trout and redfish thanks!

Started by Vjtrey1, August 01, 2017, 03:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vjtrey1

johndtuttle

Quote from: Vjtrey1 on August 01, 2017, 03:04:12 PM

I just replied to your pm with a long response, its a complicated issue and depends on what lures (fast or slow retrieve) and how much the lures weigh (esp in the wind).

Small metal, a Lexa 300 HD is gonna be hard to beat with mag brakes.

Bucktails, then something that excels at casting light stuff like a Toro Beast (centrifugal brakes).

If I was on a budget, then a Revo Max Toro is a good bargain.

Daiwa Aird Coastal 200 is a consideration if you don't need a very big reel etc.

In the final analysis, this is a hyper competitive segment and the differences between Abu, Daiwa, Okuma and Shimano are very small and not that consequential. You will hear the occasional story of a lemon from any of them (they are mass produced after all), but they are all amazing reels for the money.

Find the right size and retrieval rate and go forth and fish them. They are a gas for casting all day when wind permits. If the wind gets tough to manage, go spinning.

And you have got to regularly service them all in the Salt.

mackereljoe

Agree with John 100%.  If I'm still living in South Texas it will be a Lexa 300 HD in 6.3.   But if budget is tight and I'm wading in the flats popping live shrimp and fish finder rig crabs and mullet; will get a Daiwa Aird Coastal, also in 6.3 gear ratio and up a little more is the Abu Max Toro.  I'll do the pre-fishing maintenance and ready to hook up for most coastal fishes, less the big bull reds that eats crabs and mullets; then back to the Lexa 300 HD.   Just refer to John's recommendations and with absolute certainty you'll be happy.

Gfish

Then there's always the DIY("do it yourself", some of it anyway) option by gettin an oldie but goodie and fixin it up. It's fun, self-satisfying and a great learning experience, but not a quick solution. No reel suggestions though, as I have no knowledge of that fishery, but it sounds like a high-speed retrieve, small inshore size with good cast control.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Vjtrey1

Yeap Im from Texas and fishing in Galveston. I'll look on daiwa HD but I'm worried it might be btoo big? I'm lookin. For probably 200 size reel. How's daiwa coastal? Im not sure if tws will last. Also considering Revo inshore. What do you think guys?

oc1

Like John said, there is little difference between brands and they are all coming out of the same Asian factories.  Plastic and carbon composite parts are a good thing.  It is the metal parts that will give you trouble in saltwater.  The maintenance requirements are about the same whether you fish them every day or once a month because the damage occurs when the reel is not in use.  I don't think there is a correlation between price and longevity for low profile reels used on the coast.  Texans seem have an affinity for the Lews Speed Spool.  They are inexpensive and will hold up and perform as well as any.
-steve 

mo65

I think the most important factor is matching a reel to your casting skills. If you are new to baitcasters...you'll want to stick to modern trouble free reels with lots of backlash deterrents. If you have an educated thumb...the possibilities are near endless. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

johndtuttle

Quote from: mo65 on August 01, 2017, 08:39:59 PM
   I think the most important factor is matching a reel to your casting skills. If you are new to baitcasters...you'll want to stick to modern trouble free reels with lots of backlash deterrents. If you have an educated thumb...the possibilities are near endless. 8)

While I am the first to enjoy tinkering I am amazed at the abilities of the modern LP reels. Just effortless to cast braid with their controls and much better corrosion resistance than previous generation reels.

An Ambassadeur 5500 C3 could be found used and tuned into a great caster....but the drag, round rather than LP geometry, cranking power etc makes those old classics pale shadows of the reels of this modern era, imo.

mo65

Quote from: johndtuttle on August 01, 2017, 08:55:11 PM
While I am the first to enjoy tinkering I am amazed at the abilities of the modern LP reels. Just effortless to cast braid with their controls and much better corrosion resistance than previous generation reels.

An Ambassadeur 5500 C3 could be found used and tuned into a great caster....but the drag, round rather than LP geometry, cranking power etc makes those old classics pale shadows of the reels of this modern era, imo.

I use both modern and vintage, often at the same time. Always in the boat is my little Daiwa Prolite 100 for crankbaits...and my new Revo Rocket for topwater froggin'. These two low profile 'casters couldn't be farther apart in design but both seem to always be in my hands at the lake. 8)

jnd1959

I've used an old curado 200 dpv for it seems like 10 years. Brass gears and all. Everything up to and including 20 lb Tarpon. I have been looking at the lews speed spool to replace it.

Vjtrey1

Vjtrey1

Quote from: oc1 on August 01, 2017, 08:31:28 PM
Like John said, there is little difference between brands and they are all coming out of the same Asian factories.  Plastic and carbon composite parts are a good thing.  It is the metal parts that will give you trouble in saltwater.  The maintenance requirements are about the same whether you fish them every day or once a month because the damage occurs when the reel is not in use.  I don't think there is a correlation between price and longevity for low profile reels used on the coast.  Texans seem have an affinity for the Lews Speed Spool.  They are inexpensive and will hold up and perform as well as any.
-steve 
Hi, thanks for input. Which one of the lew's reel?

jnd1959

I've been looking at the ssg1s.  I'm partial to the lower gear reels.  I haven't researched the insides of one yet. Just picked it up and handled different ones a few times. It doesn't feel as smooth as the old curado but that may be a good thing.

mo65

Quote from: jnd1959 on August 01, 2017, 10:19:54 PM
I've been looking at the ssg1s.  I'm partial to the lower gear reels.

Lew's are excellent. Probably my easiest casting baitcaster, the control is off the charts, it's the one baitcaster I can't backlash. Mine is a ts1s with 5.4:1 gears. Sounds like one you might be interested in, but I'm not sure if they even still make it, models don't last long these days. 8)

Vjtrey1

Quote from: mo65 on August 01, 2017, 11:01:23 PM
Quote from: jnd1959 on August 01, 2017, 10:19:54 PM
I've been looking at the ssg1s.  I'm partial to the lower gear reels.

Lew's are excellent. Probably my easiest casting baitcaster, the control is off the charts, it's the one baitcaster I can't backlash. Mine is a ts1s with 5.4:1 gears. Sounds like one you might be interested in, but I'm not sure if they even still make it, models don't last long these days. 8)
Nice I'm looking on their super duty and tournament pro g any thoughts?