Discover Angling - 2011-05-26

Started by Bryan Young, May 30, 2011, 06:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Aloha,

I was fortunately to go on a fishing trip with Discover Angling (http://www.discoverangling.com/) this past Thursday, May 26, 2011.  For those who does not know who Discover Angling is a group of dedicated people that have committed themselves to providing youth with an environment where they can not only learn about angling, but actually experience the joy of being on the water and landing a fish. We will help our participants reach an understanding that angling can play a major part in their lives replacing other less productive activities.  Alan is a major contributor to this organization through his hobby of fixing fishing reels.  When you support Alan, you also support Discover Angling.  I thank you.

This trip was for a group of young, at risk individuals who have dedicated to change their lives and to become leaders and mentors.  The organization is known as FLY (Fresh Lifelines for Youth)  http://www.flyprogram.org/

The day started really early for me.  I was to be at the meeting point at 5:00 am.  That means leaving the house at 4:30 at the latest.  Well, I was the first one there, and I was the only one there.  My mind started to play tricks, and though was this the right day?  Come to find out, they though I would be on Hawaiian time, and the actual meeting time was 6:00 am.  This will be the start of my day....

I met up with the group from FLY at 6:30 am at the docks, but one of our mentors was missing.  Had to chase her down and finally found her at 6:45 am and boarded the boat and off we went at 7:00 am.  After the safety discussions, introductions, we were off.

As you can tel, it was a beautiful day.  Liht wind, light on the swells, but it got worse.  People were getting sick left and right.  The slow swells were puting people to sleep or making them sea sick.  But we didn't give up.  We were all making the best of it.

Total 80 fish were caught for 18 anglesrs, about 40 were keepers.  A fairly slow day, but it was a great day.  Here are more pics for all of you to enjoy.

A closing note, I was told that of the 18 youths on board, 8 gangs were represented.  All of the youths on board are trying to make a change in their lives and to leave the gang lifestyle.  If you would like to help out financially, please see FLY's or Discovering Angling website.  If you would like ot donate rods, reels, or tackle, please send them to Alan with a note indicating that it's for Discovder Angling and he will be sure to direct it to the Board of Discover Angling.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

Well done Bryan and thank's for a great report. I ran a charter boat in N Ireland for many years and regularly took kids from both sides of the sectarian divide  deep sea fishing. They were well supervised and got along better with each other than on the streets of Belfast. I really believe it made a change as they enjoyed fishing together and realised that there was more out there than in fighting and general vandalism. I like think it made a change. Keep up the good work.

wallacewt

i might join a gang and see if i can get a trip out.is there an age limit? ;D

Alto Mare

Good one Wallace! ;D

Bryan, thanks for for your effort trying to make the world a better place.
Keep up your great work, we appreciate it!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Bryan,
Very inspiring report. Let's hope the gang members that fished together will go tell their buds that there is another, better side to life.  Kudos to you, Alan, Discovering Angling and FLY.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Thanks to Alan for introducing these bunch of misfits.  It's been a pure joy to be with all.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

thanks for the report, bryan!  there have been three trips so far.  i think we've underwritten all three trips for about $1,000 each.  there were also 20 brand new 30# inshore rod and reel combos and 20 light spinner combos that we have supplied.  so thanks to all of you that have donated gear (and even cash!).  this is where it has all gone.  there has also been support (reel repair work from bryan and roger and parts from me) provided to the monterey bay disabled veterans association.  both worthwhile organizations.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!