hey everyone

Started by ducky, May 30, 2011, 10:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ducky

hey all. my names michael from melbourne australia.

been viewing this site on and off for a while now finally decided to join up to ask a question or 2.

my first is. what is freee spool time on an overhead? i own a tld 25 and have no idea what it is and how to check it. i figure seeing as im looking at adding to my overhead collection i better learn a lot more about them.

cheers guys.

Bryan Young

I believe the free spool time with sealed spool bearings should be around 10 seconds.  If you open your bearings, clean them out, and lube with a low viscosity lubricant, you could achieve 45 seconds.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

every reel is different, but they can almost always be improved.  welcome! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ducky

Is it checked by putting the reel in freespool and then spinning the reel timing how long it takes to stop?

alantani

Hadge

I have wondered the same thing ducky is asking. My guess is that it isn't real accurate as we could all spin the reel at different speeds. But just makes a good reference to the free spool time.
Would this be correct?
Hadge
???
Hadge

alantani

very true, but it's one of the few objective measures of reel performance, so we use it.  often we are looking for 50-60 seconds versus 5-10. 

Strata

Do you use your TLD for casting, Ducky? If not free spool time's not that important. At least that's my take on it!
Most people here in Aus use TLD's as trolling reels, although with 22 mil ppl I can't speak for all of them  ;)

Nessie Hunter

Welcome aboard Michael (ducky).....   
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!