Walleye fishing in Northern Indiana

Started by Azar, August 07, 2017, 02:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azar

Hey guys,

Heading out with a buddy to do some walleye fishing near the Michigan border this weekend.

I have never fished for walleye in my life, I believe most people use spinning rigs and mostly light gear for this action. Seems like people do some slow trolling with lindy rigs or jigging...? How the hell do I fish for walleye? Haha. Been kinda cold the past week or so here, I think it's gonna get 10-15 degrees warmer this week/weekend.

I'll probably take my everday baitcaster (Abu Black Max 3) and my light baitcaster (BPS Prolite Special) to do some bass fishing if the walleye aren't biting. I have a light spinning setup that I'll probably take and I think I have some walleye gear in one of the lots I picked up a while back.

But if anyone has any suggestions, I am totally open ears...

Benni3

Carolina rig with live shiners or shad  and the local fishman  mite not be really helping you,,,those fish where here last month  ;)

Tightlines667

For Walleye fishing, I liked 3 spinning rods set up and rigged, and 2 trolling rods.  I used a 6'6"-7'medium-light action w/6lb for backtrolling/drifting Lindy rigs (tipped w/leaches, live shiners, or hmultihook night crawler harness), a 5'5" medium fast action rig for jigging lead jigs tipped w/fathers, and a 7' medium light spinning rod for fishing slip bobbers (either with a small jig) or live shiners.  I used 5'5" medium heavy any bait casters, and planer boards to troll plugs (especially at night on the full moon).

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Midway Tommy

Shiners are going to be tough to keep alive this time of year, if you can even find a bait store that has any. You're timing is about the end of the leech/nightcrawler bite. A Lindy type rig with a spinner works great with leaches and crawlers. Personally I like using a bullet weight rather than the usual Lindy walking sinker, they slip through the weeds better and don't accumulate as much junk. Some guys swear by bottom bouncers. If they aren't hitting on leeches or crawlers you may be need to try fatheads, chubs or suckers as they're good in the fall bite. If they're biting good troll fairly fast 1-2mph, cover a lot of ground and try minnow type stick baits. If the weather is tough & they're biting lite or slow finesse fish by back trolling slow and almost vertical jig your bait. Maintain contact with the bottom, or darn close to it, most of the time unless you are chasing suspended fish.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)