Tranx 400 HG

Started by AJ, August 07, 2017, 11:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ

My Tranx puts more line on the right that the left, is there an adjustment for that?
Thanks

Cor

No adjustment, probably level winding gear is worn out.

Having said that the 400 is a fairly new model but depends on usage.

I usually replace the pawl first then 6 month later the whole worm shaft.    You can also try a thin shim on top of the pawl as a temporary solution.
Cornelis

AJ

Quote from: Cor on August 08, 2017, 05:39:31 AM

Reel is brand new!  I contacted Shimano but no response yet, just hoped the brain trust here could help.

Thanks, Robb

Cor

Quote from: AJ on August 08, 2017, 06:42:12 PM
Quote from: Cor on August 08, 2017, 05:39:31 AM

Reel is brand new!  I contacted Shimano but no response yet, just hoped the brain trust here could help.

Thanks, Robb
Please give some feedback in due course.   Good luck!
Cornelis

exp2000

BNT694 is the spacer responsible for spool positioning.

Check for deformity or indentation. Renew if necessary.

You can also add shims under it to move the spool to the right which will correct the problem.
~

AJ

I sent the reel to Shimano, they said the reel had not been spooled correctly.  They pulled off most of the line and re-spooled it, at NO CHARGE!

GREAT SERVICE.

Cor

I have sort of come to terms with the fact that my 500HG's do not lay the line neatly.   I have tried to remove the play from the shaft with shims, i've put tiny shims on top of the pawl but seldom is the line laid perfectly.  There is quite a bit of "slop" in the whole mechanism.    I am not really an experienced user of level winder reels so don't know quite what to expect.

AJ please let us know if re spooling the line has helped in any way.   Thanks for the feedback.

Just an afterthought, I usually leave more then usual play in the main spool so it has some lateral movement.
Cornelis

r8rs4lf

Not a 400, but I just had my 500 BNIB HG and used PG spooled with 80# max cuatro and there was more line towards the edges. Almost like a valley for my thumb.

AJ

Quote from: Cor on January 14, 2018, 04:09:40 AM

AJ please let us know if re spooling the line has helped in any way.   Thanks for the feedback.

Yes re-spooling has helped.  Shimano called and said if the line is angled to one side (as it is going to the level wind) as it is being spooled it will start to pile up on one side.  I think the best way is to mount the reel on a rod and spool it with the line coming through the guides.  This makes using a winding machine impossible BUT letting the line out behind a moving boat would work.  Or just have it spooled at a good tackle shop.

Quote from: r8rs4lf on January 15, 2018, 03:29:40 PM
Not a 400, but I just had my 500 BNIB HG and used PG spooled with 80# max cuatro and there was more line towards the edges. Almost like a valley for my thumb.

Mine was just to one side, I would contact Shimano, they are GREAT.

Bryan Young

We have spoiled many Tranxs, Lexas, and Komodos, as well as Penn's, Abus,...  the whole trick (or common sense) is to guide the line going on to track with the Line guide coming from a bulk spool. You will get unrealistic angles from a build spool that is not seen while fishing and this causes Line to build up in one place or another.  This will also put undue stress on the line guide assembly that is also not seen while fishing with the reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

r8rs4lf

Quote from: AJ on January 16, 2018, 01:28:14 PM
Quote from: Cor on January 14, 2018, 04:09:40 AM

AJ please let us know if re spooling the line has helped in any way.   Thanks for the feedback.

Yes re-spooling has helped.  Shimano called and said if the line is angled to one side (as it is going to the level wind) as it is being spooled it will start to pile up on one side.  I think the best way is to mount the reel on a rod and spool it with the line coming through the guides.  This makes using a winding machine impossible BUT letting the line out behind a moving boat would work.  Or just have it spooled at a good tackle shop.

Quote from: r8rs4lf on January 15, 2018, 03:29:40 PM

Mine was just to one side, I would contact Shimano, they are GREAT.

I took the tranx's out this past weekend and let the line out from the boat. Yup, it fixed it

AJ