Calcutta 400TE - Quick fire clutch bar

Started by Feel_theBITE, August 10, 2017, 02:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feel_theBITE

OK.. well first of all, great info in this page. Thank you. I did a search and it seems that it had not been addressed, or I just don't know what I'm doing. Probably the latter.

Anyway, I was finally able to get the parts from Shimano - Complimentary by the way, no charge whatsoever. Got all the new Carbontex drags from Dawn at Smooth Drags. Piece it all back together. Replaced the stripped gears on the worm drive. I thought those E clips would give me a problem, but no. Thank God  ;D

Now for the main problem, and yes..geez, there are so many things that just came loose when I opened the reel. Good thing I was able to find them. Especially drag click pin. I don't know how I found this one, just laying on the table. Did not even noticed until I saw the schematics. OK ..I'm rambling, back to the issue. Finally put back together, closing the reel and when I engage the free spool, it just clicks back up. When I take off the side plate (handle side) ... it locks in, but when I re-attached the side plate, it does not lock. I couldn't figure it out..Not missing any "springs" or pins..no extra parts.

exp2000

The pinion may not be properly engaging with the spool shaft cross-pin.

1. Remove the spool.

2. Remove the pinion gear.

3.  Slide it down the spindle and check that it freely engages the cross-pin without binding or obstruction.

Replace or repair as necessary.
~

oc1

I don't know that exact model, but you usually have to manually depress the clutch lever inside the side plate so it clicks into free spool.  Its part number 2712 on this schematic but yours may look different. 
http://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/albums/shimano/Shimano_Calcutta_TE_CTE400_Schematic.pdf
Then, hold the quick fire button up while you slide the side plate on.  You can turn the handle to engage the clutch and test the quick fire button before tightening the thumb screws.  If the side plate will not slip into place and fully seat itself against the frame then don't turn the handle or tighten the thumb screws.  Just try again and giggle it until it snaps into place.
-steve

Feel_theBITE

Thank you I will try both. And post the results.

Feel_theBITE

Quote from: exp2000 on August 10, 2017, 06:30:01 AM
The pinion may not be properly engaging with the spool shaft cross-pin.

1. Remove the spool. Did this.

2. Remove the pinion gear. Also did this.

3.  Slide it down the spindle and check that it freely engages the cross-pin without binding or obstruction. I checked to see if freely engages the cross pin and the cross groove in the pinion gear, it does without any type of binding or obstruction. The pinion gear appears flawless, no damage whatsoever.

Replace or repair as necessary.
~

MarkT

Make sure it's in gear and the clutch bar is up when you reassemble it.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Feel_theBITE

Quote from: oc1 on August 10, 2017, 07:36:33 AM
I don't know that exact model, but you usually have to manually depress the clutch lever inside the side plate so it clicks into free spool.  Its part number 2712 on this schematic but yours may look different.  
http://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/albums/shimano/Shimano_Calcutta_TE_CTE400_Schematic.pdf
Then, hold the quick fire button up while you slide the side plate on.  You can turn the handle to engage the clutch and test the quick fire button before tightening the thumb screws.  If the side plate will not slip into place and fully seat itself against the frame then don't turn the handle or tighten the thumb screws.  Just try again and giggle it until it snaps into place.
-steve

I tried this procedure. Pressed the clutch bar, pulled up the clutch without disengaging the mechanism. As I slowly add in the side plate, and press it against the frame, I hear a click. The free spool mechanism disengages by itself when the plate is press against it.

SO I tried not using the plate to find out what is causing the free spool to disengage, and noticed that if the springs on the pinion gear is not installed, the free spool locks itself and as I turn the handle, it does what it is suppose to do. But when I add the springs, it disengages by itself.

Also, when I press down on the pinion gear while the clutch bar is press down for free spool, it also disengages.

I cannot figure out what is wrong with this reel.

I called Shimano and spoke to a technician, and he said he could not figure it out without the reel in his hands.

Does anyone understand my explanation, English is my second language so I might not be describing this properly.

Feel_theBITE

Thank you all for the assists, and the replies.

Upon examining the reel for several days, I noticed one discrepancy. The spring that holds the clutch bar, is placed on the wrong "hole". What is that hole for ? I don't know why it is even there. But I placed that spring on the hole that has brass on it, and voila ! that fixed the disengaging clutch bar. MOving forward !

Thank you again.

Still can't figure out how to insert an image. Alan mentioned there is a gallery, but I couldn't upload any pictures. I will find a way.

Feel_theBITE

Quote from: MarkT on August 11, 2017, 06:05:07 PM
Make sure it's in gear and the clutch bar is up when you reassemble it.

Thank you Mark. I made sure like 10 times.. but still couldn't figure it out until I noticed in one of the pictures I saw online that I had the spring in the wrong position. I almost lost my mind trying to logically figure it out.

And the link of the image is photobucket and it won't allow me to post it. Although it shows in the other forum. BD.

exp2000

The unrestricted travel of the pinion gear whilst disassembled may have been the X factor in this equation.

Assembly may have limited this preventing it from locking in position.

Guess I should have posted this pic earlier.

Anyway, glad you finally got it sorted. Brain teasers can take a while sometimes.
~