Bearing stuck on Spool Shaft... any ideas?

Started by broadway, June 01, 2011, 07:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

I have a 114H from the 60's that has the left side bearing "welded" to the spool shaft.  I have tried all the usual concoctions and chemicals, let sit for days, tried muscling and banging a bit :o , and I'm in the same place as I was when I started.  My new plan is to cut the bearing off... any recommendations before I go choppin' away?  I assume I'll be ducking flying bearings if I use the dremel, but I don't think I wanna try the bolt cutter... do I? 
Thanks
Dom 

Norcal Pescador

Hey Dom -

The Dremel and safety glasses sound like your only option at this point unless you have access to a gear or wheel puller. :-\  How about a bicycle "chain breaker" using the pin to push the spool shaft out of the bearing inner race? ???   I've never tried it so all claims of satisfaction are disavowed. ;D

http://www.amazon.com/Cyclo-Universal-Rivoli-9-Speed-Chain/dp/B001CK0OS0

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Dom, like Rob I also was going to recommend a small gear puller and maybe a little heat from a propane torch might help.  If all fails, try a dremel or a sledge hammer ;D chose the one that will give you more pleasure.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Hi Dom,

I would put the bearing in a bench vice (if available) or some vice grips.  Tighten until the bearing essentially breaks apart (and it will).  Then put the spool back in the vice and lock down tight and grab the spool and turn.  If that doesn't work, then I would use the dremel or put the spool in a drill press and grind away with a course file.

Oh yeah, heat with a torch, cool with wd40 or similar lubricant and repeat.  Then put the spool back in the vice and lock down tight and grab the spool and turn, or grab with vice grips and crank off.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mangutzfish

Ah yes...  Power tools are ALWAYS the best tool to use. Even if its not. ;D  More fun anyway. 

broadway

Ahh... all good suggestions...  I feel better already.  I feel like I was just given permission to beat someone up  ;D  I'm gonna torch it first then I'm gonna beat this thing up till she comes off.  Yes, I'll be careful with the ($97)  :o spool.  Thanks guys!
Dom

silverfish

Me I would try to cut ½ way into the first part of the bearing with a hacksaw and then use a small chisel hit it with a hammer  being a harden steal it will crack easily then do the middle part of the bearing it will crack to or open some so you can get it off  ...rod

Dave RI

I have had issues like this in the past , what i suggest is to soak the shaft/ bearing with some kind of penetrating oil and then heat the bearing up since it will be junk possibly either way , just inspect the spool for any washers or any meltable parts . just a little bit of heat at a time , in fact if you heat the shaft the heat will run down under the bearing , and with the oil it will boil the corrosion out so with a little persuation it should just come right off . good luck !!

Dave M

broadway

Another couple of good suggestions... I haven't had a chance to hack away at it, but this weekend I'm gonna give that bearing a beatin'.
Thanks
Dom

alantani

i think bryan has seen me with these.  i don't have much patience.  with a big pair of vise grips, i'd crunch down on the outer race.  it will shatter like the shell of a pistachio nut.  wear your safety glasses. 

now with the outer race gone, you can muscle off the cage and then the inner race.  this should be quick and easy.  um, you didn't want to save this bearing, right?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

No, I didn't Alan... this bearings got no shot.  It doesn't even spin on the spool, more like turning a screw in a hole.  I haven't gotten a shot to try these ideas out, but when I do rest assure I'll post what method I went with.  Thanks for all the good suggestions crew!
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom don't forget, when all else fails, get a bigger hammer ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.