Thumbdinger

Started by Squirmypug, June 02, 2011, 04:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirmypug

Anyone used the Thumbdinger?How long does it last-how long untill hole is cut in the product? How do I know what size to order? I'm tired of getting cuts on my thumb while bottom fishing and hope this will help. Thanks for any info.  :)
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Normslanding

Tried it. Spectra rode up past the thumb protection. This occurs when you level line. Gave up on it.

Norcal Pescador

Squirmypug -
Have you tried FlexxWrap? It's like the stuff that holds the cotton in place after a blood draw. I use it all the time on the ocean. Comes in colors, too! ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Squirmypug

Thanks guys, I haven't used the wrap but that is something I have been thinking about getting.Only problem is I can't find it anywhere local  :'(
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Norcal Pescador

Try one of the big chain drug stores or in the pharmacy department of one of those MegaMarts. ;)   It's usually tan and it sticks to itself. Probably a couple of bucks for a 1" x 5 yard roll.
Rob

codhead

Quote from: Squirmypug on June 02, 2011, 04:41:26 AM
Anyone used the Thumbdinger?How long does it last-how long untill hole is cut in the product? How do I know what size to order? I'm tired of getting cuts on my thumb while bottom fishing and hope this will help. Thanks for any info.  :)

I've recently ordered a "Thumbdinger" from Charkbait, along with a pack of their "Finger Tape".

I've been trying, without success, to find an on-line retailer of the Jigging Master Left-hand only glove.

The older I get, the better I was

Squirmypug

That jigging master glove looks nice, let me know after you test the thumbdinger and the tape how you like them  :)

Squirmypug

Codhead I found this http://www.huntingfishingandcamping.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=132_139 its the jigging master glove left hand only.Hope its ok to post the site.

codhead

Quote from: Squirmypug on July 09, 2011, 02:00:15 PM
Codhead I found this http://www.huntingfishingandcamping.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=132_139 its the jigging master glove left hand only.Hope its ok to post the site.

Thanks Squirmy (or should that be pug?).

I did find that site and although I'm well used to buying and selling on-line, the site itself causes me some concerns, namely:

1) You have to register before they show a price for a product

2) Although I believe it is an Aussie site, there are absolutely no name, address or telephone contact details

3) The only contact is through a hotmail address

Sorry but there are simply too many unknowns for me to take it any further.

Two weeks ago was the very first time I'd ever suffered braid cuts to my left thumb and it was painful. We were fishing the English Channel and I'd spooled one reel up with Daiwa Accudepth 8 strand at 20#. I believe that a combination of moisture-laden air (it was foggy) and the thin braid led to the damage. I'm certainly no wuss but I had to blag a couple of band-aids from the skipper, just to keep on fishing.

wallacewt

i had a look at that site for you.they give 2 addressess,i think they are different companies,i dont know
Oceanside tackle,you can trust,i have been to their shop several times.not far from my place.any problems let me know and ill sort it out for you.
huntingfishing and camping i have had nothing to do with
cheers

codhead

Well, Jon got back from SC today and gave me my Thumbdinger and finger tape.

I must say I am less than impressed with the Thumbdinger, it looks cheaply made and I do not expect it to last more than a couple of sessions. As for the "finger tape", it looks just like the tape that you would bind to a tennis racket or golf club.

Of the two, I have more faith in the finger tape at $4.99 for two rolls than I have in the Thumbdinger at $16.99. At least I can use the finger tape to provide a good key for winding braid onto a spool.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: codhead on July 31, 2011, 08:11:05 PM

Of the two, I have more faith in the finger tape at $4.99 for two rolls than I have in the Thumbdinger at $16.99. At least I can use the finger tape to provide a good key for winding braid onto a spool.

;D ;D ;D
Rob

Squirmypug

Sorry to hear that the thumbdinger doesn't seem like it will last, guess I will have to find some of the tape.

codhead

Quote from: Squirmypug on August 02, 2011, 01:47:29 AM
Sorry to hear that the thumbdinger doesn't seem like it will last, guess I will have to find some of the tape.

The tape is a self-amalgamating wound tape - it doesn't stick to skin or anything other than the tape itself.

It is manufactured in the US by Dynarex and is marketed under the trade name Sensi-Wrap. It might be worthwhile seeking a local vendor. This is from the Dynarex website:

Sensi Wrap, Self Adherent

* A lightweight compression bandage which sticks to itself, but not to other materials or skin
    * Easily torn without scissors
    * Will not slip
    * Individually poly bagged
    * Available in tan or in an assorted rainbow pack

Squirmypug