Penn Long Beach 60

Started by jetman, June 02, 2011, 10:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetman

I am rebuilding my Penn and what to keep the 1+3 drag washer. Is it worth it to upgrade to the carbontec washers and would smooth drag have them for this reel? (they are on vacation till the 7th)  Also I am shooting for 10 lbs of drag so is it neccessary to upgrade to a steel gear sleeve?  Thanks  Mike

Norcal Pescador

Mike,
Either Carbontex or Penn HT-100 washers would be a good choice for the 60. The Carbontex washer would be #9, equivalent to the Penn 6-60. Ten pounds of drag on a 60 is asking a lot for that reel. :-\  Six or seven pounds is a lot more like it and I wouldn't put more than 15-17# line on it, 20# max only for abrasion resistance. If you're going to go for the ten pounds of drag, then yes the s/s gear sleeve will help, but then the gears will probably blow out.
The Long Beach 60 is a light-duty reel. What are you planning to fish for with it?
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

jetman

Hi Rob, thanks for the reply. I was going to use this reel for Nor Cal bottom fishing and was going to spool up with 50 # spectra straight to the jig. Do you think it will be too much for this reel?  MIke

Norcal Pescador

You should be okay if you're talking rockfish and lings. If you're thinking halibut, you do like a challenge, don't you? ;D  I bottom fish out of Fort Bragg and Trinidad but haven't gone after the 'buts' yet.
Two things come to mind - with the spectra you'll have to be vigilant about keeping the line from getting between the spool and side plates. The other is - do you have a one-piece spool, aluminum or chrome over brass? Akfish replied to another Penn 60 post and advises that a three-piece spool would be better with 30# mono as the line won't pack as hard as lighter mono or Spectra. I agree.  Check it out:    http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2108.0
Good luck!
Rob
Rob

Bryan Young

And to add to Rob's information, it's all about drag.  Just because you are using 50# spectra doesn't mean that you need to set your reel at 15# of drag.  I'm sure you already know this, but just in case...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jetman

Thanks Rob, that makes perfect sense to me,   Mike

alantani

you know, the gear ratio on the long beach 60 is so slow that you're probably really going to hate it.  figure 5 pounds of workable drag for this reel.  it would be fine for straight 30# mono.  with only 5#'s of drag, a stainless steel gear sleeve would really not be needed.  also, you'd be looking at ALOT of very expensive spectra.  probably more then the cost or worth of the reel.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jetman

Quote from: norcal pescador on June 03, 2011, 02:34:23 AM
Mike,
Either Carbontex or Penn HT-100 washers would be a good choice for the 60. The Carbontex washer would be #9, equivalent to the Penn 6-60. Ten pounds of drag on a 60 is asking a lot for that reel. :-\  Six or seven pounds is a lot more like it and I wouldn't put more than 15-17# line on it, 20# max only for abrasion resistance. If you're going to go for the ten pounds of drag, then yes the s/s gear sleeve will help, but then the gears will probably blow out.
The Long Beach 60 is a light-duty reel. What are you planning to fish for with it?
Rob
Hi Rob,  the #9 carbontex washer that you speak of, is that the number from "smooth drag"? and what washer should I use under the main gear to replace the original fiber washer?  Thanks for the help,  MIke

Norcal Pescador

Hi Mike -
Yes, that is from SmoothDrag's Carbontex parts list. The washer that goes under the main gear is the #5. Print out the washer lists from Alan and Dawn and you can match up sizes.  Almost all of the drag washer (and other parts) measuring is metric for simplicity.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1016.0
Rob
Rob

jetman

Thanks to everyone for babysitting me! I just did not want to throw this reel away but now that I know what the 60 is capable of, I will follow everyones advice and use straight 30 mono, Mike

jetman

Oh and I forgot to mention what a great resource this site is and how well it is run. Most of us are able to work on our own reels thanks to you guys  and that is invaluable when out in the boonies. My friend Gary sent off 2 Tyrnos and 2 Charter specials to Alan for the works,(frames, handles, drags etc) but I am talking  him into doing the next teardown by himself!  I think every fisherman should know his reel intimately,  Mike

alantani

mike, when you get a chance, take a look at those two charter specials.  they came out very nice. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jetman

Hi Alan  Yes they came out great, but what you did to get the amazing free spool on that Jigmaster was pretty dam sweet!  . I have 2 Charter Specials I use for salmon downriggers and they perform great but I did not do the frame conversion yet.    We appreciate you on Coastside also,    Mike