Penn 50 Int

Started by turboal, June 03, 2011, 03:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboal

Hi Alan, how do you know if you need a thrust washer installed with the
bellevilles ? i am finally getting around to finishing this narrow 50 i started
building a while back. when i put in 5 bellevilles ((()) the drag gets really tight
when i push the lever. i can't push it all the way to full. the bellevile stack is only
about .010 or so larger without a thrust washer.
thanks, AL

Nessie Hunter

IM no expert on the Bellviles, but It seems to me that in that configuration you would get exponential pressure from the side with 3 washers that would take much more pressure to close up..
So in effect you are using the 2 washers against an immoveable 3 washers... ????
Keeping it to thick without compressing all the way...

Suggestions??? 
Might try (()) 4 washers or if you need a little more thickness,  ()() same 4 washers with equal compression......

ALAN!!!!     Help!!!   LMAO....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Bryan Young

I believe that this is a natural tendancy with all lever drag reels.  I'm assuming that the reel still cranks when you move the lever forward to increase the drag.

What kind of drag are you getting at this level?  It may be more than you need, and you will need to back off the preset.

If you had ()() and switched to (()), the drag will ramp up, hypathetically, at least 30% faster.  For example, if you had 2 reels for comparision and one reel was set up at ()() and the other at (()), and both reels were set for a drag at 10# at strike.  At halfway to strike, ()() reel will have a lower drag resistance value than the other reel at (()).  (()) reel may achieve the same drag as ()() at a position less than half.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

bryan hit it on the head. most fifty series come ()() factory. you can play it from there, just keep it in the same measurments, 0.10 is fine. i think the last 50 i did took 5 washer's ((((( and ramped up very fast just like bryan said. try some where in the middle.

Norcal Pescador

I had a weak drag on my Int'l 50 that I bought used. I tried adding more bellevilles and changing the configuration but that didn't help. I bought four new ones, put them in the original (factory) configuration ()() and problem solved - good range of drag. I found the old ones were thinner and must have been more flexible than the new ones.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

turboal

ok, i guess i will just remove 1 of the bellevilles. so what is the spool thrust washer
used for ? and witch side of the bellevilles does it belong on ? i am trying to get the most
drag press that i can out of this custom built one off reel.

JGB

Turboal,

I'm not sure that there is supposed to be a washer in the belleville stack. Checked a few Schematics and it is not there.
This reel may have been worked on before and the bellevilles changed out. The original bellevilles were black and they would rust over time. The total depth of the bellevilles sets the center position of the drag preset knob and affects the range of drag settings that the reel can be set to.  If the ones in your reel were SS then they were probably replaced with something different.

If you need to use spacers place them away from the bearing. On a SW50 on the left side and on a S50 on the right. This will prevent the spacer from rubbing on the outer bearing race.

Here is something you might try out: This is what I call the 2 stage belleville or overload set up , Just like overloads on your truck they prevent bottoming out -   bearing()!((pinion   This will give a softer ramp at lower settings and a steep ramp when going to full drag. The ! is the thrust washer needed to support and reinforce the  single belleville against the double belleville. Other variations can be achieved using different strength bellevilles in combination. The (()) will give a  short steep ramp with lots of drag and will not be very forgiving when try to set low to medium drag settings.

Other possibilities:  (()))  (!(()))  or  pinion)(()))

For over load set ups it is necessary to use high quality bellevilles that will tolerate being compressed to flat and most of those are carbon steel.
Jim N.

turboal

Jim, I have installed 5 new Penn 50tw bellevilles, they are listed as thick (more pressure) in
the ((())i pinion conf. is there a diff from this setup (()))i pinion ? how much diff in drag is ()i(((pinion
from free spool to full ? i is spool (155-50) shim. looking to get about 40-45lbs+ at full drag.

alantani

al, try a softer configuration like (()) to start and see if you get enough drag at strike.  once we know what the actual drag range looks like, then we can talk about monkeying with the bellevilles. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JGB

Alan has a good point. The (()) is already aggressive and could give you the drag range your looking for. If it does not you will have a good idea of how much more you really need. Simple is generally better.
BTW There is no difference that I can see in the two setups.

Jim N.

turboal

what's the best way to check the drag press ? how do you know if you need
spool shims ? what would you measure ?

Nuvole

Quote from: turboal on June 05, 2011, 11:10:21 PM
what's the best way to check the drag press ? how do you know if you need
spool shims ? what would you measure ?

I use a drag checker, but guess the hanging weighting scale will does the job.

Drag Checker

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/default/language/en/cPath/32_482/fishing-gear-accessories/drag-checker.html

Bryan Young

That some high tech drag checker.  I just use a simple fish scale straped to my shelf.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D