Penn international 80tw issue

Started by Noahg727, August 22, 2017, 03:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahg727

A buddy of mine just purchased used 80tw and has been having issues with it. First of all, there's no smooth drag transition for it. It goes from basically free spool all the way up right before strike, then right at strike it changes suddenly to a ton of drag. No matter how much we tinkier with the preset, we still cant achieve a smooth gradient. Also, when the drag is set high enough to hold our weight, (we use it for land based shark fishing) the spool ever so slowly let's line off. Even if we turn the drag way up, it seems to do the same thing. What do you think the issue is? I know the thing hasn't been serviced in a while. I told him I'd attempt to service it, but I'm new to this and I'm not sure what is wrong with it. Bad bearing? Reorient the bellevile washers?

Bill B

Be patient brother someone will be along shortly with an answer.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

FatTuna

The drag curve issue sounds like a belleville washer configuration issue to me. I'd crack her open. The TW is reasonably straight forward. It's a single speed which are easier.

I'm not clear on the second issue, is the reel not producing enough drag?

Might be worth investing in a new spring (41-50). Might as well swap out the bellevilles if you are going to service it. I'd separate the drag cam assembly clean and regrease.

Unfortunately a lot of the pictures on this site are down though due to the Photobucket issue.......

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/80tw.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Tightlines667

This is likely a spacing issue, but may also be related to burrs or corrosion.  Check the Belleville stack config and spacing, poish/debuted cam parts, and spool shaft, clean everything up good, and check your bearings.  There are many other posts thst explain how to address these issues.  LMK if you run into trouble or have specific questions/issues.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

akfish

My guess is that the belleville washers are rusted/corroded together. Also, if it's a TW, it may have the old style asbestos drag washer. If so, it is absolutely mandator to install modern HT-100 or DuraDrag drag washers.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Tightlines667

Quote from: akfish on August 22, 2017, 05:23:08 PM
My guess is that the belleville washers are rusted/corroded together. Also, if it's a TW, it may have the old style asbestos drag washer. If so, it is absolutely mandator to install modern HT-100 or DuraDrag drag washers.

Yep.

The Bellevilles rust, and the sometimes mare the shaft, or inside of the bearing.  Cleane/check all bearings, check the drag disc for material type and uneven wear, and drag plate for damage, check clicker ratchet and pawl for wear, check pins for damage, and clean and lube everything.

Hope springs eternal

alantani

it might also be the drag material itself.  the old drags were a hard composite material of some sort.  if you can, see what kind of drag washer it has.  if it's not carbon fiber, replace it. if it is carbon fiber and you can grease it, that might help considerably. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Noahg727

Noahg727

so I finally got a chance to open up the reel. The drag washers are carbon fiber but both of them are shaved flat. Guess that makes sense as to why it would rotate like it was doing.

Tightlines667

Go ahead and try to work the weave back up on those.  Use some brake cleaner to clean them, and rub with a microfiber cloth with pressure and circular motion.  Then grease with Cals and test.  If its still jerky, then replace.

John
Hope springs eternal

akfish

It looks like the teeth on the drag plate that the pinion gear fits into is pretty ragged. If it is, you should probably replace the drag plate.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

handi2

Quote from: akfish on August 28, 2017, 09:49:40 PM
It looks like the teeth on the drag plate that the pinion gear fits into is pretty ragged. If it is, you should probably replace the drag plate.

Yes. I cant tell if the threads are messed up or its too much grease.

New right side plate bearing, Belleville's, drag scrubbed clean, dried then greased, and it should be working. Check the other bearings for any roughness.

That drag will come out looking new after its scrubbed clean. I use a soft brass brush with cleaning fluid.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Noahg727

Yeah that's just the grease. Threads looks fine. The belliville washers looked like they were covered in strait mud. After cleaning they look a bit corroded but not terribly. What would be the advantage of replacing them? Smoothness? Also, how do you know when a bearing is no good anymore? And how do you get them out of the left side plate and right side plate?

Thanks
Noah

Tightlines667

Quote from: Noahg727 on August 28, 2017, 11:43:12 PM
Yeah that's just the grease. Threads looks fine. The belliville washers looked like they were covered in strait mud. After cleaning they look a bit corroded but not terribly. What would be the advantage of replacing them? Smoothness? Also, how do you know when a bearing is no good anymore? And how do you get them out of the left side plate and right side plate?

Thanks
Noah

The Bellevilles will lose some of their compression over time, and they corrode relatively easily.  Replacing with new is cheap, and will restore the drag curve and decrease the likelihood of issues due to this corrosion.  Using the old ones will probably be fine too, if you don't need any other parts just use them, get new ones if you are ordering any parts.   Take a look over the tutorials on how to service the reel and you will find your answer on how to remove the pinion bearing.. which likely needs replacing.  The tailplate bearing can be removed by wrapping the tailplate on a flat surface.  Sometimes a little penetrating oil is needed first.  The bearing shields should be removed, then use brake or carb cleaner, or mineral oil or some other solvent to completely clean the inside of the bearings.  Try spinning them free, then with a little side load.  Any felt roughness any they should be replaced.

John
Hope springs eternal

alantani

this drag washer will work just fine.  slap a coat of cal's grease on it, then rub off the excess with an old rag.  these old drag washers were glued on with too much glue.  the glue actually seeped through the carbon fiber and hardened to give you the glazed finish that you see.  not to worry, though.  they work fine. 

as far as the progression of the drag pressure, it may still ramp up too fast.  changing the bellevilles from "(())" to "()()" will allow the drag pressure to ramp up more slowly, but you will get an overall lower top end drag out of it.  you may actually have to go in and file down the cam, which can be very tricky to get right.  if you get to that point, holler for help first rather than jumping right in. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!