Penn Narrow Jigmaster?

Started by Ambassadeur 10000, June 04, 2011, 05:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambassadeur 10000

Every time I turn the handle on the reel it is not smooth all the way around.  It hits a rough spot every time at the same spot.  Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

ReelSpeed

Might check the main gear inside and see if it is rubbing against the inside of the sideplate... is there a sound associated with the rough spot?  might check if the spool is rubbing from misalignment.. a couple thoughts.
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

alantani

probably damage to the teeth of the main gear.  if you get it under a lupe you will probably see the damage.  that's a pretty typical description.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

13starsinax

what about to much grease on the gear?

Alto Mare

Quote from: 13starsinax on June 05, 2011, 02:08:07 AM
what about to much grease on the gear?
No, that wouldn't do it. Open it up and check the gears, if it is at the same spot it usually the gears.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

when you have a "hitch" at the same point in the rotation of the handle, then it's either a chipped tooth on the main gear (very common) or a rub of the handle shaft or gear (very rare) against the side plate.  if you have a "hitch" every time you turn the handle 90 degrees, then you have a chipped tooth in the pinion gear (very rare) or a spool that is rubbing against the frame somewhere (very common).  that's the pattern for a reel like the jigmaster that has a 4 to 1 gear ratio.  alan

Ambassadeur 10000

I decided to take a dremel to the sideplate under the gear, and now it seems like everything is perfect.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Ambassadeur 10000 on June 15, 2011, 06:05:04 AM
I decided to take a dremel to the sideplate under the gear, and now it seems like everything is perfect.

If it's working out for you that's great, but keep an eye on it ; might be something else. Usually when the main gear rubs on the inner side of the  plate you would feel a constant rub, not just a rough spot at the same spot. Take that reel out on a trip and test it, if everything still feels good, than just let it go.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Ambassadeur 10000 on June 15, 2011, 06:05:04 AM
It may be that your gear sleeve is not snug against the bridge plate or the bridge plate shaft where the gear sleeve is breaking loose from the bridge plate allowing the handle assembly to wobble from what you are describing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

something about the main gear would have had to have made it "out of round."  you are describing a "high spot" in the main gear that was rubbing against the side plate.  either way, glad to hear it worked!   ;D

Delcampo

I had the same problem on my 506 HS.  Check the "nipples" on the handle sideplate that engage the receptors on the handle side ring.  If they have a flat spot (worn), the two side plates won't align properly.  A quick check is there should not be any daylight between the ring and the sideplate when assembled.  You may need a new handle sideplate to correct the problem.  Hope this helps.