removing the handle arm from accurate bx 400

Started by hafnor, June 06, 2011, 06:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

As the title says, I have serious problems removing the handle. I have removed the security screws and the main handle nut screw but I can not get the handle arm off. Any help?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

If it doesn't wiggle off, you may want to try to lube with something like corrosionX, salt away,... and try again.  If that still doesn't work, install the handle nut loosely and hold the handle and tap the nut with a rubber mallet or wooden handle.  I normally do this over a pad of towels just slightly lower than the reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

cjmarti3

Hi Thor,
I have a few comments that may be of help as I have completed a preservice my BX 400's.

First the handle arm to main shaft is a VERY tight interference fit.  When the two pieces are assembled the square end of the stainless shaft cuts into the aluminum handle removing the anodized coating and more. If you were to wiggle the handle as Alan has suggested this will not work as you know, but if you get real aggressive and force it you will further distort the square hole in the handle and ultimately make things worse.

I removed mine as Brian suggested by backing off the cap screw a few turns and tapping it with a light hammer.  This works but causes other problems.

At the outboard end of the shaft is a small "O" ring that is not shown on the schematic diagram.  You will need to force the "O" ring through the outer shaft bushing, tight fit.  It will then slide through the anti reverse bearing and then the inboard bushing will pop out with the shaft.

Of the six reels I did 3 "O" rings were damaged but usable 2 were destroyed.  My recommendation would be if you are going to remove the main shaft and gear plan on replacing the "O" rings.

Good luck,
Charlie

hafnor

thank you for the ups cjmarti3. I do not think I will to this with the first. Accurate parts are not very common in Norway to say it at least. Too bad because I am sort of worried for the anti reverse bearing...

cjmarti3

Hi Thor,
For periodic maintenance of the anti reverse bearing there is a practical and simple approach that can be followed.

For the single speed BX reels remove the handle cap screw as you have done, insert your reelX bottle tip in the hole and give it a small squirt.  This will push oil down an axial hole in the shaft that intersects with a radial drilled hole that will push oil directly into the anti-reverse bearing.

The strategy is to flush a small amount oil through the bearing.  The excess migrates along the shaft keeping the water out.

I am not familiar with the two speed models but the simplistic manual suggest there may be something similar.  For reels made after March 2011 there is an oil port drilled into the right side plate housing for this purpose.

For the single speed reels this oil port serves no purpose as it intersects with the inboard shaft bushing.  Your are in effect oiling a blind hole!  There is a post on Bloody-decks:  http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/accurate-fishing-adventures/327198-bx2-accuport-oiling-port.html

Charlie

hafnor

tnx Charlie, this was much easier for a preservice