Hello from Ventura CA

Started by xjchad, August 29, 2017, 11:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Well I guess I'm kind of doing this backwards, but I figured since y'all have helped me so much already I ought to introduce myself.
I'm a husband to an amazing wife, father to 6 wonderful kids, and I love fishing.  For work I'm an engineer, and I love to fabricate and tinker with stuff.
I've been doing more and more tinkering and servicing of my own reels (spinning, baitcasting, and conventional) and have found an amazing amount of great info here!  I find that learning about and working on these reels is very relaxing and fun. 
I've been fishing ever since I can remember, mostly for trout with my dad and grandpa.  As a teen I started flyfishing and bass fishing.  I try to fish whenever and where ever I can, and love finding little hidden spots to catch anything available. 
Three years ago we moved from the high desert to the Ventura area for a new job.  Once I found out about surf fishing I fell in love with that too.
The last two years I've mostly been focused on land based big game fishing.  Targeting mostly sharks and rays.  Only been offshore a few times, but love being on a boat. 
Thanks again for all the help so far, I'm looking forward to all I'll continue to learn here!
Here's a couple of pictures of some of my recent catches. 

Husband, Father, Fisherman

swill88

Welcome Chad, glad you are here.

Steve

Swami805

Nice black sea bass from the beach. Really any BSB from the beach is nice. I'm right up the road in Santa Barbara. Looks like life is treating you well. I fish Goleta pier a bit,maybe float up here and wet a line, some decent thresher fishing once the crowds of summer thin out. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

Welcome Chad....great fish pictures....I grew up in Oxnard.  My dad and I used to surf fish at 5th Street beach and McGrath State Park...also many trips down to the Ventura Pier......If your in for an adventure head south and try the beaches around Mugu Rock.....Deer Creek and be pretty good but the whole area can be dangerous during high surf.  Even Port Hueneme Pier can produce some good fish.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Welcome aboard, Chad --

Nice pics!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Welcome.  Dominick, San Mateo, CA
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

xjchad

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
Bill, I usually fish the areas north of Ventura, but that deer creek area looks great!
Sheridan, I actually work up in Carpinteria. I'll definitely head up there sometime!
I'd love to add a thresher shark to my list!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Welcome Chad.
Enjoy your stay. ;)
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Hi & welcome from the UK - Chris.

Donnyboat

Welcome from Don of Western Australia, thanks for pics, nice to strip a reel down, rebuild it & catch large fish, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain