Light Spinning Reel category

Started by Whit, September 02, 2017, 02:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

And an old ad from 1966.  I don't care for today's Eagle Claw tackle, well, maybe their hooks and sinkers are ok but these reels are definitely collectible.

thorhammer

Fred, you need a ten pound spool of 8lb test Royal Bonnyl for that table of classics! :)

Midway Tommy

Well they're not all "Light" spinning reels but here's five of the eight Ofmer Eagle Claws.

Left to right: ECQ, ECP, ECR, ECRU, ECT

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Reel 224

Tommy you have a nice collection there!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

gstours

And thanks to all for posting these great little reels.🤳🤦‍♀️
    And for a question.  What's the difference and preference between the penn 4300 and 430 spinners.  I,m think 🤔 ing of trying another reel on my walk along the bank.   Thanks 💁‍♂️

foakes

Gary,

The 430SS has a metal frame and components — the 4300SS is a very similar reel with graphite frame and components.  Both are very decent reels — if there was a chance of hooking up to a large fish occasionally off the bank — the 430SS would do the best job over the long run for you, IMO.

If I had one, I would just send it to you.  But if you wanted a different light reel — and I had it —it is yours.

What would you be targeting?  Type, weight, river, lake, or sea?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 27, 2018, 03:12:22 AM
Well they're not all "Light" spinning reels but here's five of the eight Ofmer Eagle Claws.

Nice ones, Tommy--you just won't see anything like that coming from a manufacturer today.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Thanks Joe & Frank. Ofmers are definitely quality made reels. I've probably got ten or twelve other Ofmers between straight up Ofmers, a couple of Pflugers (1040, 1041,1042) and a few Montgomery Ward Hawthorns, etc. Ofmer made reels for several different retailers. One of these days I need to get back focused on obtaining those other 3 and upgrading that ECRU. It's seen quite a bit of use. I got sidetracked a couple of years ago and kind of forgot about the Eagle Claws I still needed.  ??? Priorities I guess.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rivverrat

Quote from: foakes on April 27, 2018, 03:44:57 PM
Gary,

The 430SS has a metal frame and components — the 4300SS is a very similar reel with graphite frame and components.  Both are very decent reels — if there was a chance of hooking up to a large fish occasionally off the bank — the 430SS would do the best job over the long run for you, IMO.

If I had one, I would just send it to you.  But if you wanted a different light reel — and I had it —it is yours.

What would you be targeting?  Type, weight, river, lake, or sea?

Best,

Fred

YUP THE 430SS  seems to be the looked for reel.  However I've caught catfish over 20 lbs. on my graphite 4300SS. Not as a practice. I was catching bait & it was the only combo I had with me a few times so I made use of it... Jeff 

gstours

Thanks for the info on the 440/4400 pen spinners.  Sounds like what your saying in all the reels in these sizes the three digit ones may have been produced earlier.   I al just now learning this stuff and had no interest in these before.🤦‍♀️As a cardinal user.  I mostly cast for dolly Varden and pink salmon,  lately now, coho salmon in the rivers.  All under 15 pounds size.    Just wanted to play around some more.   Thanks 🙏
    Another question is what 15-20# braid line do folks prefer.  I've got so different brands that don't cast well on a used p 5500 spinner so before I buy more need some advice. 🤷‍♂️  Thanks.

thorhammer

I mainly use Power Pro in that range, with a few feet of fluoro.

mo65

Gary, here's how I keep track of all those Penn Spinfishers...good ol' MysticParts saves the day again. Just scroll down the page to the Spinfishers. Like John said...that PowerPro is hard to beat. 8)

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Spinning.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Does anyone know if Heddon made any of the two-tone green ultralight reels in the 1960s and 70s similar to the one pictured?  I really don't know what size the reel is in the photo I attached, just using it for a reference.

philaroman

pretty sure there were L/UL Heddon Pal rods, so there must have been a reel to match...
maybe, a Spin Pal ???

Swami805

Here's one that's pretty small. Next to a 408 for comparison. They're might be a smaller size I have a salty pal rod too
Do what you can with that you have where you are